My Name is Zach, and I am 18 years old.

I was born and raised in Ohio. During the age of seven I attended Fellowship Baptist Church till I was 14.

At FBC I was taught "Moral" values of Homosexuality, and Abortion (note sarcasm in moral).

Also I was taught about how "Evil" the theory of evolution was.

Over a period of time I came to relize the ideal bestowed on me by my childhood chapel were not my ideals. I opened my eyes to the scientific theory of evolution, and I saw how perfect it fits in with the world. With help from an Atheist friend I became an Atheist myself.

My hobbys are wildlife photography, posting on forums, hiking,  and practicing martial arts.

Views: 77

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Greetings, and welcome!

What martial arts forms? I studied Shotokan for a while, then switched to Ki-Aikido when I moved. Now unfortunately, lack of money or a dojo within a few hundred miles has kept me from it for a while. But it's still immensely fascinating to me!
I practice Moo Jung Gumdo, which is a korean sword art. I have been practicing it for 2.5 years now.
What is Shotokan?
Shotokan is a Japanese form of Karate.

Years ago, I asked my nephew who was a Tae Kwon Do instructor, for advice on what martial arts style might be best for me. I told him I'm not worried about what will give me the 'best' self defense, as I'm sure they're all more than adequate. I was interested in the emotional, physical, and philosophical discipline. An art; not just breaking boards.

His exact words: "Any of the Japanese styles. They'll work you into the ground, but it's worth it."

And he was right! Shotokan especially: Don't know if it's the style or just the specific instructor I had, but while some clases were quite easy, I left a few classes unsure if I'd be able to walk the next day. But it was the good kind of pain. A whole lot of pushing my body and skills far beyond what I ever imagined.

Really bummed that money and access to a decent dojo have not been on my side for several years now.
hi zach. i'm also 18 and new to this. :D
im from st louis, mo but im moving to terre haute, in in one month
Welcome Zachary.
Way to go Zach. I de-converted 65 years ago from Catholicism. No regrets. I am ready for 'the long sleep', which we all get, regardless of what we believe or want. Think you'd enjoy Mark Twains last two books-- on heaven. The Mysterious stranger & Letters from earth. Both very funny. All preachers should read them.
Wonderful to hear your story and welcome. You have a nice combination of hobbies and no questioning evolution would help you enjoy your photography and hiking far more. Ohio seems to be showing up a lot on these forums these days. That makes me happy, I have a good friend living down there.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Kim Wilson joined BuildingCastles's group
23 minutes ago
Kim Wilson joined Becky Robinson's group
27 minutes ago
Kim Wilson joined Daniel W's group
28 minutes ago
Kim Wilson joined Ivy's group
30 minutes ago
Kim Wilson joined Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group
32 minutes ago
Kim Wilson posted a status
"Thank you Randall, Daniel and Ruth for the warm welcome - no clue how to navigate this site, but in time I'll be in familiar surroundings!"
34 minutes ago
Kim Wilson updated their profile
36 minutes ago
Gary S commented on Daniel W's group Quotation Of The Day
58 minutes ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service