Well, my name is Sara. I live in the wonderful theist filled state of Tennessee. I am 23 years old. Unemployed, but I start college at the end of this month (majoring in Biology), so that is my semi decent excuse for being job free.  This whole post is really just rambling, but it goes in extreme mode after this, won’t hurt my feelings a bit if you skip over it.

My atheist story is rather boring. I was raised in a Christian family. The Bible story never really made sense to me; I remember questioning the crazy stories from a young age. I’m not sure how it is everywhere else, but where I’m from, it’s either science or religion. People here are so completely sure that evolution is false while even as a kid the line “we’re from monkeys” (I know we share a common ancestor with them now though) made more sense to me than “God created you.”  I mean, seriously, some people do look like monkeys. I went back and forth between questioning everything and “picking and choosing” what I wanted to believe. By the age 17 I was sick of trying to force myself to believe what everyone else did and realized I was one of those “evil atheists” that everyone complains about.

My atheism didn’t mean anything to me until recently. I think once I became comfortable with it and stopped caring what other people thought, I could open my eyes more to what’s going on around me in the religion world. Wow! What a crazy realization it was! I started thinking about all the things people could be doing instead of wasting their time at church. Could you imagine if just one Sunday out of every year every churchgoer did some sort of volunteer work instead? I know animal shelters could really use some extra hands and the extra cash! Imagine more homeless shelters, or other helpful buildings, instead of churches. I am not saying that churches aren’t helpful at all, just that there are better ways things can be done. I know I would not feel comfortable going to a church for help. Within the past year, I started reading the books, watching the videos and reading things online. Many of these things made me angry towards religion and the way it makes people think. I used to get annoyed at the people who complained about God being mentioned on money and in the Pledge of Allegiance; now I’m one of those people! I just want to be able to go one day without having religion thrown in my face.

Didn’t mean for this to be so long, but I am too lazy, and care too little, to go back and delete things. Anyway, I am glad to be here and hope to fit in with you all!

Views: 112

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be cool. I wish Dallas was closer to me, I'd go to that convention if it was.
Welcome aboard. We are happy to have you join us.
Thank you, I'm happy to be here.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service