Hey everyone! Got on here from a suggestion from a friend. You peeps seem so smart on here.

Views: 848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thomas, Tom Sarbeck respects challenges if they are supported by evidence. I experience Tom as a great teacher, although one has to get through his crap to get to his precious gems. 

Sorry, Tom, I'm not talking behind your back, I am giving you my high praise, publicly. 

Joan, you know me well.
About a now-deceased political opponent I valued, I regularly say "She took no crap from me and I took no crap from her; we got along."
I may write a short memoir and share it with others who knew her. At 90 her U.S. Marine uniform looked good on her.

Joan,

Your words are in agreement of what I was thinking. Your rapports inspires me to think more clearly and more coherently.

Look it at this way...this site and the people here stimulates thinking....it like sunshine and water feeding life into all things alive.

Tom, Joan, you are both gems. Thank you for challenging our thought!

Thanx, Cu. I enjoy having my thoughts challenged too. So if you spot flawed reasoning, please point it out. I like walking but a few seconds of jogging bores me.

Wait what ? The LHC is arguably the greatest modern engineering / scientific achievement. The Higgs Boson for one. Much of the data hasn't even been processed yet. What about the Kepler Telescope, that has discovered extra solar rocky planets, the LIGO gravitational wave detectors and the James Webb Telescope ( in development ) ? All are costly endeavors that answer questions about the universe.

John, the LHC has not yet found the Higgs boson. W-a-y down in the Wikipedia article on the Collider is:

"Second run (2015 onward)
At the conference EPS-HEP 2015 in July, the collaborations presented first cross-section measurements of several particles at the higher collision energy.

On 15 December 2015, the ATLAS and CMS experiments both reported a number of preliminary results for Higgs physics, supersymmetry (SUSY) searches and exotics searches using 13 TeV proton collision data. Both experiments saw a moderate excess around 750 GeV in the two-photon invariant mass spectrum,[142][143][144] but the experiments did not confirm the existence of the hypothetical particle in an August 2016 report.[145][146][147]"

Let me re-phrase that as per the official CERN website: On 4 July 2012, the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN's Large Hadron Collider announced they had each observed a new particle in the mass region around 126 GeV. This particle is consistent with the Higgs boson predicted by the Standard Model.

On 8 October 2013 the Nobel prize in physics (link is external) was awarded jointly to François Englert and Peter Higgs "for the theoretical discovery of a mechanism that contributes to our understanding of the origin of mass of subatomic particles, and which recently was confirmed through the discovery of the predicted fundamental particle, by the ATLAS and CMS experiments at CERN's Large Hadron Collider."

I am not a Physicist but I think that most of these great projects are under funded, not over funded. I am referring to the LHC, James Webb Telescope and LIGO ( among other things ). The LHC is funded by multiple countries and has physicists from around the world.

It appears that, in your argument with Joseph P, you were saying that Cosmology and Theoretical Physics is no different than religion ? Theories often are created long before they are proven or dis-proven. As long as they are peer reviewed and follow the scientific method they are valid attempts to explain nature. How else can you attempt to explain the origins of the universe ?

John wrote, "How else can you attempt to explain the origins of the universe ?"

I started, John, by doubting that the entire universe was once so small that it occupied less space than a single nuclear particle.

If you can accept that, you can accept Georges LeMaitre's mathematical "proof" of the Genesis
account. In his time, the 1930-1950s, Xians eagerly accepted it.

BTW, I did not say Cosmology and Theoretical Physics are no different than religion. I said there is no eviidence for either religion or the Big Bang.

" I started, John, by doubting that the entire universe was once so small that it occupied less space than a single nuclear particle.

If you can accept that, you can accept Georges LeMaitre's mathematical "proof" of the Genesis
account. In his time, the 1930-1950s, Xians eagerly accepted it.

BTW, I did not say Cosmology and Theoretical Physics are no different than religion. I said there is no eviidence for either religion or the Big Bang. "

I will have to read about that mathematical proof of genesis. That sounds funny.

At what size do you think the universe began ? Or do you not think it has a beginning ? I am curious and not trying to argue.

There is a near consensus of most prominent physicists that the universe was once on a subatomic scale, operating under quantum laws. The greatest conundrum in physics, though, is linking relativity with the quantum realm. To me it just seems intuitive that the 4 forces were once singularly linked in a very compressed, early universe. It is also theorized that a black hole can reach a singularity and spawn another universe. I don't accept such things as ultimate truth, but they seem logical as the best current candidate theories. Such theories are also widely accepted among such people as Lisa Randall, Brian Greene, Hawking, Michio Kaku, Kip Thorne and so on.

At what size do you think the universe began ?

John, Your question assumes a beginning but where is the evidence? Until there is evidence, I won't hypothesize a beginning size.

There is a near consensus of most prominent physicists....

Investigative reporters follow the trail of money. We taxpayers pay the salaries of many physicists. 

To me it just seems intuitive....

Many human societies have creation myths. Google the term.

It is also theorized that a black hole....

Try "It is hypothesized that a black hole...." Then, find evidence for the hypothesis.

Such theories are also widely accepted among such people as....

Again, follow the trail of money.

Get information. Visit www.newtoeu.com and download the free PDF file.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service