How do you respond to: "Are you against religion?", "Are you against Christmas?"

I was asked by an Xtian if I decorated for Christmas.

When I answered "NO" - I got the questions I have heard before.

"Are you against Religion? Are you against Christmas."

(Religion is bad - so yes I am against religion)

Any of you here get these same questions? 

How do you handle them?

Views: 4613

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Even if they don't get annoyed, at least you can think that it does, and that makes you happy :)

LOL, yes Leon, we often enjoy our own illusions.

It's the thought that counts, aye!

Is good to find happiness in simple things :)

I am against religion at the point it intersects with reason. If people want to share community that is fine with me. If they want to believe myths and legends, it is none of my business. If they want to bring creative design into the classroom, I fight them with everything I have. If they make decisions about political things and use beliefs with no evidence, I fight them. 

As to the "Merry Christmas" greeting, I thank them for the greeting of good will, and I tell them I am not a christian. I am not interested in annoying anyone; I am interested in being clear about my position on religion. I want people to know I do not share their beliefs. We need to not be afraid of being disliked, or hurting their feelings, or being seen as evil. We need to stand tall, proud, confident and competent as we say, "I am not a christian!"

We exist at a time and place in history when we need clear, realistic thinking. Hoping, praying, desiring, wishing, yearning, longing for something just does not do any good. 

I like John Cleese's definition of Fundamentalism, as taking stupid books like the Bible, Koran, Upanishads, etc.. too literally.

Though I would put it more likely that Fundamentalism is the Delusion that Idiotic Concepts and Fairy Tales are Absolute Truth.

That applies to not only Religion, but all stupid ideas and Fictitious Nonsense.

Yet, Religion is by far the biggest source of Fundamentalism.

Though my first girlfriend is an Astrology Fundamentalist.

She planned every day by her Horoscope.

Dyslexic's DOG how do you like being with an Astrology Fundamentalist? Do enjoy her company? Are you able to express your opinion and maintain a healthy relationship? Can you give voice to your opinions about astrology? How do you feel when she reads your horoscope? Can you keep from laughing? 

I was glad we were only dating, I couldn't have lived with her.

It was bad enough having to organize dates around her astrological sign predictions.

I couldn't imagine having to organize the shopping around them as well.

I had a go at her belief once, I think that is what started the end of our relationship.

From then on she didn't trust me and felt that I was a threat.

Though she also became a heroin user and ended up shacking up with a drug pusher. Maybe her star sign told her to get high.  So she did.

I have only seen her once since she took up heroin, and she looked old and hagged.

She aged 30 years in 5 on smack.  Glad I didn't take to using it.

I was attracted to her at first because she was extremely beautiful and had a sexy, soft husky voice, reminiscent of Stevie Nicks, which in review, were the only reasons.

Beauty without a rational mind sucks.

It created much stress at the time, as it was an ego boost having somebody looking as good as her with me, as we males are often very shallow at 18.

Trying to keep the relationship going, just for the ego was not a good decision to make at the time.

I didn't appreciate intelligence over looks at the time, I soon learnt my lesson.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service