I'm an atheist, obviously since I am here, but I have a big problem. 

I can't argue with believers. Often they are christians since I live here in USA now. And to be honest that is one religion I really dislike.

Almost all of the believers I talk to, when the religion subject opens they just have zero GOOD arguments and above that, they INSULT ME telling me they do not care what I believe, that I can't prove it and that they can (due to historical evidences). And one of them I was talking to is actually my good friend, and he insulted the ... out of me and I ended up kicking him in the nuts. I can't stand it. I almost want to go cry and punch a wall after arguing with a Christian. They are just extremely stupid in what they believe and argue about....

How can I deal with this? Please help me.

Two things I can't tolerate: People who abuse animals and Christians.

Views: 782

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First of all, if they're not listening to you, if they can't operate within a healthy discussion or debate about religion, then obviously it's not worth your time. If they will not consider what you will say, then why try and hammer a nail into concrete? If you're becoming impatient to the point where you feel the need to injure something, maybe you ought to refine your debating skills.

You say you cannot tolerate cruelty to animals....

I presume that you have the moral authority to criticize animal abuse because you are a vegetarian and have separated yourself from any connection to, or support of animal cruelty.

How do I deal with a believer? I don't. Simple.

I know I have to work and live with people who are religious, I just don't talk about it. If it comes up, I don't participate. When asked to participate I say I don't like talking about religion.

Why? It's awful. It's never enlightening. It's always ended with someone saying, "I'll pray for you," or, "You're just a doubting Thomas." It takes all my will to stop from screaming, "Oh just shut up."

Rather than argue with the really crazy believers, I would strongly encourage arguing with those people in the "middle" who can be persuaded. There actually are a lot of such people. Some people may say they are Catholic, for example, but they almost never attend church and rarely think about religion. Such people have less at stake and are more open to contrary arguments than "fundamentalists." I certainly have had a lot of success arguing with people in the "middle."

Agreed! On the very rare occasions I engage a street preacher (if I'm passing them and simply can't stand it), it's not for their benefit but for the bystanders. Last month at a big July 4th street festival, when a preacher was going on and on about us all being unworthy sinners, I shouted to the crowd that if the powerful Christian god were real, HE would need to get on his knees [so to speak], HE would need to apologize to US, HE would need to repent to US, HE would need to do restitution to US for creating or allowing all the horrific, gratuitous suffering and death we experience. Bone cancer in children?! Parasites that specifically feed on children's eyeballs? The knowing, willful creator of those would be the real criminal! (One of the onlookers thanked me afterwards.)

Just hang in there because you cannot argue with a believer. Any believer. I hold all religion in disdain and I am a former Christian.

Christians are amazing! Very often they are trying to tell me what god wants, what he thinks, and what he says. How do they know? The more you study belief the more you see they are just making it up. They make no sense.

Martin Luther hated the Jews because they killed his Jesus, but wasn't Jesus also a Jew? Sometimes I think the answer is just to kick them in the nuts too. I'm on your side.

I disagree that one cannot convince a Christian.  I have done so in the past, provided the person with whom I am talking is fairly intelligent.  One just has to keep repeating one's arguments enough times in slightly different ways over a long course of time, and they can sink in.  I befriended someone as an undergrad, and I kept politely arguing and arguing every day in the cafeteria and at other times I encountered him.  Now, he is an atheist, and I had a lot to do with it.  This guy is quite intelligent, mind you.  He has a Ph.D. in electrical engineering.  This might take longer or not be possible with a lot of other people.

Do you ever feel like you just have to do something physical, maybe run, walk faster than usual, play tennis, or do some other kind of physical activity?

It’s your body telling you it wants some action. So do it; it’ll probably be good for you physically, and if you do it with others it’ll be good for you socially.

Now suppose your mind tells it wants some action. Even if you have only an xian to argue with. If it will exercise your mind, consider doing it.

BUT, DON’T LET AN XIAN LIMIT YOU. Take the xian where you want to argue. Maybe tell them you hope their faith will keep them out of prison.

Remember, it’s your mind that wants the exercise. Be a little bit selfish and insist that they tell you how their faith keeps them out of prison. 

Don’t ask how their faith makes them happy. You might be talking with a masochist and they will tell you.

In the USA it is not only socially acceptable, but often expected to be rude to non-believers. Remember these people have been brainwashed since birth as I was. When on most subject most people in this culture will actively try to avoid conflict they will go overboard defending their religion even if they don't observe or even think about it. 

They usually as you have observed have horrible arguments for two reasons:

1) even the best professional apologetics always fail. I've been searching for even one that's challenging for 30 years.

2) most Americans don't think or care about their religion on a daily basis.

Few Christians have read their bible. I often ask people what faith they are (Baptist, Methodist, Catholic etc) so that I can inform them of what they claim to believe. My discussions end up being teaching moments. Almost always they assume that I know nothing automatically when they find out I'm an atheist. They almost always withdrawal as soon as they figure out I am more informed th a they.

That is exactly what happens to me as well. I tell others I am atheist and they assume I have not heard their "good news." Once they learn that I know more than they do on their religion they start making up more nonsense or they want to run away.

Here's the deal. you can't control what other people think, do, or believe. You can only control yourself. If they want to build a life based on mythological beings, that's fine. They can choose Thor, Zeus, Anubis, Yaweh or any other one they wish. They just can't impose anything on anyone else. Once they cross that line, they can have anything they bring up called into question.

And if they do that, all they have is that the bible and their god prove each other- which doesn't work.

Not to mention, most of them haven't read their own book and have no idea the levels of violence (or tolerance) it calls for

So just keep your head about you. Your well being and happiness comes first

You cannot argue with a Christian and there is no historical evidence. Not evidence of god but there is evidence of certain things in that Buybull. It doesn't prove much. Christians will take you on a roller coaster ride to prove their god and bible but it proves nothing. They think they have the answer of "how we got here and what is in store for us later." Nobody has these answers. Nobody ever will. Arguing with a Christian is like arguing with a koolaid drinker in todays Trumpian World. You will hear lots of stuff but nothing that matches the subject being discussed. It's a big waste of time. I tell people that in other forums where they want to argue with me and they hit me back with "yeah, but what if?" I'm sorry. That's not how I think. Not everyone has logic.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service