I went from Christianity to Atheism about a few years ago. I’ve noticed an increase in my death anxiety. I can’t enjoy anything with out thinking how it won’t matter cause I’ll be dead and everything I am and love will be gone. I know I won’t know I am dead but there is something so tragic and heartbreaking that everything I am will be gone. And same for others too. When we die, a universe dies with us. I can’t stand it. What do y’all do to help?

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Daniel, as always, your gentle manner, kind words, and clear descriptions empower one to feel less helpless while thinking of positive ways to face life's challenges. You were there for me and you continue to be present with the ones in turmoil. 

Thank you for being who you are. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree here, but it's one (Buddhist) take on the question:

"Our breath, our heartbeats, our thoughts all arise as pulsing waves. We see that there is nothing solid, nothing static, nothing steady that goes from one year to the next, one month to the next, one moment to the next. The mind-body is a flux of constant creation and dissolution. There is no possibility of holding on, although sometimes we try very hard to do so. When we experience this process of change in a very immediate and intimate way, we realize that who we are is the ever-changing waves, and the fear of death begins to dissolve because we see that there never has been anything solid or permanent. We no longer consider death some kind of failure, apart from the natural order of things. We can be more at peace."

~Jack Kornfield

Aw-ww, Bert, if you disagreed would you have posted it?

- - - - - - - - 

Because people use language to either reveal or conceal, when I see prose like that, I sometimes replace second person or plural pronouns (you, your) with first person singular pronouns (I, my). Kornfield’s passage would read

My breath, my heartbeats, my thoughts all arise as pulsing waves. I see... et cetera.

Many people do physical exercise. Not so many people do emotional exercise. Or maybe I’m a narcissist.

OK, Tom, let's do it:

"My breath, my heartbeat, my thoughts all arise as pulsing waves. I see that there is nothing solid, nothing static, nothing steady that goes from one year to the next, one month to the next, one moment to the next. The mind-body is a flux of constant creation and dissolution. There is no possibility of holding on, although sometimes I try very hard to do so. When I experience this process of change in a very immediate and intimate way, I realize that who I am is the ever-changing waves, and the fear of death begins to dissolve because I see that there never has been anything solid or permanent. I no longer consider death some kind of failure, apart from the natural order of things. I can be more at peace."

~Jack Kornfield, modified

My agreement plus $5.41 will buy you a latte at my favorite coffee shop.

I took a seminar with Jack Kornfield. His ideas offer worthy action plans. 

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service