I'm a newbie. In fact, I've never belonged to an online atheist group before even though I gave up on all gods many years ago. Having been raised in a radical Christian cult that operated as a closed society like all cults do, I spent a number of years of my young adult life trying to rid myself of the god virus. I have never felt so free as I do now. It was one of the most liberating decisions that I've ever made. Since then, I've gone on to question almost all cultural expectations. They're sneaky little bastards predicated upon myths and fairy tales and more successful  at controlling the masses than any laws have ever been. 

All that aside, I hope to stumble across a lot of interesting discussions as a new member.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to the site. I hope you're enjoying it.

Teresa, I glad your here! I come from an extremely fundamentalist Methodist church. I have spent the last 20 years trying to rid myself of religious dogma. I recently wrote about a recent hidden remnant of religious dogma I was not even aware of.  http://atheistnexus.org/forum/topics/compelledunbeliever-a-sexist-f...  The fact of the matter is sometime we are so deeply brainwashed we can not see it. 

You have done great in recognizing that it is present. That is the first and most important step. 

Thank you for the warm welcome and a little bit about your background. I followed the link provided and read about your recent remnant of religious dogma exposed. It's shocking to me that after all of these years, I still stumble across bits and pieces of the god virus lodged in my brain. Sometimes it manifests as an old wound that needs licking and at other times, it rears it's ugly head in the form of a vague feeling of guilt. It doesn't help that the messages are all around us, buried deep within our culture and normalized through years and years of collective practice. 

Welcome, Teresa.  We hope you'll get some ideas by reading what others have posted here.  And we equally look forward to whatever questions you may ask, or answers you have to give us. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service