I Wasn’t Born An Atheist. I Was Born A None. I Came to Atheism and The Journey Took Too Long.

What inspired this discussion?

What inspired, or fomented, it are the claims I’ve seen here that some were born atheists.

Why so impossible a claim?

Were they wanting to be among the first to board a metaphorical train?

Okay, claim away, and take a seat in a metaphorical first class coach.

For the rest of us, coming to atheism is a personal journey.

Something else inspired it too, an essay by a Chris Reeve titled Science Is A Personal Journey.

More to come. In the meantime, what say you?

Views: 386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bert, your post arrived as I was about to edit mine to read “For what reason(s) do you bad-mouth dicks?”

Larry wrote:

You have to learn to be spiritual, you can avoid being religious, but atheistic is the default until someone starts trying to program you. 

He spoke for others with his first word, ”You....”. his eighth word, “..., you....”, and his final word, also a “...you.” Three strikes.

He could have written something like:

”I had to learn to be spiritual, I avoided being religious, ....” etc.

I a jesuit? I had some serious sinning to do.

Tom, that is just pedantic crap...

Frankie, synonyms for pedantic include abstruse, academic, erudite, formal, learned, precise, and scholastic.

Thank queue.

Having studied math and science, and having almost studied law, I eschewed ambiguity, which poetry requires.

I stole the cheese rather well, didn’t I?

Naw, Bert. If I were Trump-like I would have made it all about me. [:> )]

Clever! About dicks, I mean!

Posting can be fun.

Prove that you weren't indoctrinated in spiritualism, please. 

Larry, in debates about words and their meanings I use dictionaries, usually either the OED or the New Oxfoord American Dictionary (NOAD).

Doing so can introduce new issues because dictionaries have two uses: descriptive or prescriptive (telling how people have used words or specifying how people shall use words). NOAD says ~ism involves communication with the spirits of the dead, or is a philosophical doctrine.

We had been discussing the word “spiritual”. Was your use here of the word “spiritualism” an accidental typo?

You had to learn to be spiritual, you needed to know what that required. I don't believe for a second that it came to you native. The Catholic schools were part and parcel of that. 

Larry, I won’t try to prove something you “don’t believe for a second”.

I wonder, one autumn my Dad and I ate peaches from our back yard orchard and then planted 12 seeds, each marked with a wooden stick with a number 1 through 12 on the sticks. Remember how ugly a peach seed looks? 

peach pit isolated on white background clipping path

Each month we dug up one peach seed to see how it looked. Several months went by, until one time, there were two odd appendages, one pointed to the center of the Earth, and one pointed toward the sky. 

How did that happen? What were those things? What are they called?

The embryonic shoot (plumule) grew upwards, and the embryonic root (radicle) grew downwards.

Food needed for germination came from endosperm tissue within the seed and from the first two leaves that formed (cotyledon). Eventually, we witnessed a tree that had blossoms and birds and bees. 

Oh! From where do babies come? and What have birds and bees got to do with my questions? and From where do peaches come?  Our garden with rabbits that we bred and raised for meat clarified some other problems. Sex! Oh! 

I wasn't born an atheist, nor was I a theist, nor a none; I was a questioner. Somewhere between my simple questions and my realization that I am an atheist was wandering in the wilderness of belief in gawd, Jeeshous, heaven and hell, salvation and damnation, sanctification and condemnation. 

It took me far too long to sort out truth from fable. 

Joan, I wrote into a memoir that when I was born I had lungs and told my parents I wasn’t okay with what they’d done.

I too was not an atheist, etc. I was a complainer.

A nickel says I complained sooner than you questioned.

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service