I Wasn’t Born An Atheist. I Was Born A None. I Came to Atheism and The Journey Took Too Long.

What inspired this discussion?

What inspired, or fomented, it are the claims I’ve seen here that some were born atheists.

Why so impossible a claim?

Were they wanting to be among the first to board a metaphorical train?

Okay, claim away, and take a seat in a metaphorical first class coach.

For the rest of us, coming to atheism is a personal journey.

Something else inspired it too, an essay by a Chris Reeve titled Science Is A Personal Journey.

More to come. In the meantime, what say you?

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The thought of religion has to exist in order for the thought of atheism to exist. It is a not word or thought until religions speards its poison and then one has to not believe.

So yes we do not believe at birth. We must be taught a concept before we can qualify or dimiss it.

Compelled, that is the way I see it. 

I did not grow up in a religious family, and religion had a significant influence on the beliefs of my parents. "Spare the rod and spoil the child." "Women's place is subordinate to men's." "It was not possible for a man to rape his wife." "Obedience to father, husbands, community, have value." Disobey the elements of society, and one goes to hell." "There are heaven and hell." "We will see our loved ones when we die if we go to the place they went." "Sex is dirty." "Abstinence is the only contraceptive allowable." "Children born outside of marriage are 'bad.'"

A little bit of college, encounters with life, things I learned as a child seemed to create problems that my childhood teachings failed to solve. Some experimentation, a little exploration, a bit of rebellion, sometimes feeling doomed, and other times gaining strength in my new understanding. At 82 years old I am now ready to stand as a mentally healthy, mature, adult, speaking with my voice. 

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service