In the bible, it talks about God creating evil (Isaiah 45:7), cutting women in pieces and sending them across the country (Judges 19:29), killing all the males and keeping the females as sex slaves (Numbers 31:17-18), calling foreign women dogs (Matthew 15:21-26), hating family members (Luke 14:26), NOT bringing peace but a sword (Matthew 10:34-36), smashing babies against the rocks (Psalms 137:9), killing innocent children (Isaiah 14:21), forcing children to eat s**t (Ezekiel 4:12-13), killing disabled people (2 Samuel 5:8), killing people for trying to help (2 Samuel 6:6-7), killing people for NOT striking prophets (1 Kings 20:35-36), killing people for picking up sticks (Numbers 15:32-36), killing people for NOT having children with his brother's wife (Genesis 38:8-10), mauling little children with bears for making fun of a bald man (2 Kings 2:23-24), killing thousands because HE told them to take a census (2 Samuel 24:1-15), beating slaves (Exodus 21:20-21), selling your daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:7-11), forcing a rape victim to marry the rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29), kidnapping little girls (Judges 21:20-24), sending innocent puppies to burn forever (Revelation 22:14-15), stealing animals (Matthew 21:1-3), stabbing random people (Jeremiah 48:10), hating children before they were born (Romans 9:10-15), killing people for not washing hands (Exodus 30:20).

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes.

I would say most of them don't fully follow/read their own holy book, and when they hear of such horrific things, they try to block it out of their mind by making up justifications and uncomfortably worming their way around the subject, and making push-it-under-the-rug kind of statements like "don't worry about it, you just have to trust god!". Even if they do know that stuff is in there, I don't think most modern day Christians (as I was one for a while) even stop to think about it. The details. The imagery. Do they really THINK about what it means to throw stones at a child they die, and burn them for their father's crimes? Do they ever IMAGINE if they would truly be happy breathing in the ashes of that murdered child, just because their god TOLD them to do it? I'd say they probably avoid it entirely. They just see text on a page so they skim over it no different than they would their twitter feed. They disconnect from it. Maybe deep down they don't want to face the idea of their security blanket not existing...

So I would say no, most aren't sadistic...not to say that some aren't though...

Good answer. I'll show this list to my grandmother tomorrow.

Yes, by all means, and the major means is denial. 

Good answer

Yes, because the value system glorifies death, conquest, domination, submission, only-one-god/do-whatever-to-win. crucifixion, faith-over-reason. You have cited the chapters and verses describing these atrocities. 

Most have a compartmentalized mind. Despite their belief that the Bible is history, they don't really question the morality of these tales (though it's thinking about how horrid they are that turned me against religion). Funny, when they talk about 'traditional marriage' they somehow avoid polygamy (not that there's really any reason to forbid that).

Interesting side point: On one political site there was a discussion of the absolutely obscene things ISIS was doing including mass executions, sex slaves, etc. I pointed out what Moses is alleged to have done the the Midianites (really exactly the same behavior), for which I got called out as antisemitic. But I can hope that started some people thinking about mental wall of separation

Most Christians don't have a clue as to what the Bible actually says.  Fundamentalists will probably tell you that the OT doesn't apply because they live under the New Covenant, the grace of Christ, so they are no longer governed by OT laws.  When Jesus the Jew tells people they must obey all the commandments, the Jew thinks "613," but the Christian hears "ten."  When Jesus says not one iota of the law shall be changed until heaven and earth have passed away, the BAC (born again Christian) thinks he means the Ten Commandments, a ludicrous idea because the Bible contains three different versions of the Ten.  A lot of the OT laws are either barbaric or ludicrous or both.  I have heard Christian preachers say that they are entitled to the millions of dollars they make because "the workman is worthy of his hire," while ignoring "it is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."  The OT says that it is an abomination to wear clothing made of two different kinds of fabric, specifically forbidding the mixing of linen and wool, an injunction lost on "Christian Nation" pioneers, who wore homespun fabric called "linsey woolsey" because it was part wool for warmth and part linen for comfort, wool being generally scratchy.  I have heard BAC preachers say that the laws of the OT apply unless specifically modified by Jesus, then claim that they are free to mix fabrics because non-mixed fabrics identified the ancient Jews as followers of Yahweh, but modern Christians are identified by other signs, such as the crosses they wear.  Nowhere does Jesus abrogate the mixed fabrics law.  He does change the Mosaic divorce law, insisting that if a man divorces his wife for any reason other than adultery, she becomes an adulteress when she remarries.  Guess what group in America has the highest divorce rate?  Yep.

They obey--or try to make the rest of us obey--the laws they agree with and chuck the rest.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2020   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service