I can't link using my tablet, but the news is on multiple sites. The state of Indiana passed a religious freedom law that many believe will legalize antigay discrimination.

Views: 1740

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sure does make me proud to be a Hoosier! I think I'll try an experiment. When I go into a restaurant or store to purchase something, I'm going to inform them I'm an atheist. Wonder what responses I'll get?

San Francisco's mayor has just issued a directive banning any use of city funds for employees to travel to Indiana on official business. The NCAA is looking to remove Indiana as a venue for sporting events in the future. SalesForce is cancelling all programs that require their employees to travel to Indiana. Gen Con (comics and gaming) is threatening to move its conventions and programs out of Indiana.

And the hits keep a' commin' for the Hoosier State that's based on good conservative pro-business models. Yeah! Right!!!

Maybe one way to attract business to states like Ohio, Michigan, and Illinois would be to put up large billboards as you enter those states from Indiana. 

"You Are Now Leaving Indiana. Welcome To Illinois Where Human Rights Are Respected."

Daniel, I see no reason to be selective at all.  If Illinois and other states which pass such laws want them so bad, they can learn to deal with the double-edged nature they present.  Thus far, nothing like it has passed in Ohio, and if I have a word to say about it, it never will!

@Pat, that's all wonderful news. And on the local front, there was a piece on the news about a website that is printing a map, with signs, for the business's that aren't going along with with this bullshit. Over twenty new businesses added themselves within 24 hours of the law being passed.

I know.  I met some wonderful people in Indy, especially.

I have been wondering what the effect of Indiana-type laws will have on the hotel business in those states. 
When I was in Holiday, we played Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, Peoria (Illinois has a similar law), Louisville, KY, and a LOT of towns in the deep buybull-belt south.  I can just see hotel registration forms with questions like "Do you believe in God?" and/or "Are you a queer?"  If the prospective "guest" gives the wrong answer, or refuses to answer, the hotel would have the right to boot them out the door.  At least 1/3 of Holiday's skaters were gay, and the same could be said of any Broadway show or ballet company....orchestras, too.
How many road companies would choose to avoid those states altogether, and how many voters would be offended, bored, pissed-off at the sudden lack of live entertainment? 
This bullroar could also affect tourism negatively.
Actually, I sense a deep insecurity in the "True Believers."  Their imaginary friend(s) aren't doing Jack Schidt to further their beliefs, and "Jeebus" hasn't shown up.
Pity. *:)) laughing

The right to say no to patrons based on your personal religious beliefs. I don't understand how the sponsors, and supporters, of this bill do not understand they are re enacting Jim Crowe laws, only this time, instead of skin color, it's sexual identity. And all the tax payer money that will be wasted as it is contested, and struck down, in the courts later. How is this good for the citizens of America? At all?

It says a lot that they do not put it on a public ballot either. Just like all the heartbeat legislation that is now being tacked on to budget bills because when put to the public they fail to pass. This type of social legislation shouldn't be allowed to just be added into a bill about highways or simply passed by a legislative majority. The majority isn't to be trusted or we would still have women unable to own property or vote. Minority races would still have to drink out of a different water fountain or count as only 3/5 of a person. LGBTQ would still be prosecuted for being seen together in the streets. We understand the implication of all this legislation, we being the ones who can put aside differences and compromise.

I feel like everyday we are more and more going to be in a society like V's. I hope I am not alive when it happens.

I am afraid that Jim Crow still lives, although the people who support him now keep him in the closet most of the time.

Well that is what religion does best.

Produces stupid laws to discriminate against others as well as idiotic doctrines to restrict their own members so they pay money.

Just typical of what religion in politics does.

As I am a gay man. I think Indiana's RFRA is a big deal because The point of RFRA is not to discriminate against gay Americans. It is supposed to prevent the government from discriminating against religious Americans.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service