Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Tags: A|N, community, rant, world

Views: 260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How many stories have you heard from Murkans about how awful the toilet paper is in other parts of the world? I've heard it from two different US world travelers. Many friends outside the US have confirmed that Murkans seem to be obsessed with toilet paper quality. One did a grand tour of Germany, and when I asked them about their trip, that was all they told me about... toilet paper.

Well traveled does not necessarily equate worldliness (often just rich parents)

Oh yeah! A Scottish friend was marveling at how many Murkan accents he heard as he was standing outside a McDonald's in Rome.
Ha! My Scottish friend isn't a MacDonald, as far as I know. He doesn't seem to care much about his genealogy, unlike so many US MacWannabes I've met.

Yes, you are in for a lot of trouble now!!!!1111111 Don't make me italicise and underline my next comment, missy!!1111
Hey now, at least Murkans know whereof they speak when it comes to toilet paper. Give us our due in one of the very few areas we have any expertise left. Why, a recent president of Murka (well, president of Texas, primarily) even used the Constitution as toilet paper. Sort of a research project, as I understand it. The joke was on him, though, because it's printed on parchment.

I do try to keep in mind that A|N's strangling tentacles engulf the globe. But of course, myopia knows no bounds. Wait. That can't be right. Anyhoo, it's not quite the case that all Americans are utterly ignorant about the world they share (or that they, in fact, share it), but it is true of a breathtaking majority. I blame religion. I mean, what the hell, it fucked up everything else. Especially in the US.
Oh sure, currying favour with all the "Religion is the alpha and omega of all that is wrong with the world!" types. Did you send out autographed 8" x 10" glossies to your fanclub yet?
You must not have eaten breakfast in Scotland, or Norn Iron. That rocket fuel kept me going until evening, and then I'd have a light snack. The traditional Scottish or Irish breakfast is great if you like a little protein with your protein.

An acquaintance formerly from Pakistan describes toilet paper as environmental terrorism.
Im glad I don't have to do his laundry.
Kids today think they have it so hard. Why, when I was a kid, we had to use corncobs, and when we ran out of corncobs, burlap.
...and when we ran out of burlap, handfuls of gravel!
Oooh, you had gravel in New Hampshire! We would have felt rich with gravel. It all had to go into our breakfast cereal.
LOL!!!!
You were doing it all wrong. You're supposed to use the burlap before you get to the corncobs. In my experience, all the butter makes a big mess.

As for the big toilet paper debate, TP is overrated. The great philosopher Howard Stern once commented, "If you pick up a piece of crap with your hand, are you going to wipe it off with a dry piece of paper?" Baby wipes are where its at!
Sacha wrote: "All I can say is you will never find that from me."

How nice for you! Choose the right parents did you? You should not hold yourself up as an example of cosmopolitan virtue; you actually sound snobbish and arrogant.

I don't like being the one to tell you this but most people in most other nations have never been outside their own countries either; the European upper middle class and residents of small countries such as Lichtenstein are probably an exception. Many of them have no desire to travel either. Does that disgust you also? Western Europe might be an exception but then most of western Europe is closer than the distance between Los Angeles and Chicago and these small nations are well connected by rail. At least Americans have the excuse of long distances to travel, with travel to Canada and Mexico somewhat excepted.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service