Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Views: 600

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Americans ethnocentric, NOUS?

I offer this video as proof of how open-minded and sophisticated Americans are.
As much as a Canadian I'd love to jump on the gripe about America bandwagon... we here on AN do have to face a rather stern fact that the US has more intolerance toward Atheism than most other countries.

Their fundamentalism is so engrained into their society, that Atheists literally receive death threats when in the public limelight.

Something we here in Canada don't often see.

So yeah, they're boisterous, yeah, they're ignorant... but they also have to deal with living in an almost 3rd world nation while having the population numbers of a 1st world nation.

Managing to hear anything at all from fellow Atheists in that nation is nothing short of really freaking lucky... they're two steps short of locking their borders down and silencing anything shy of flag waving Jesus freaks.
Sigh. Ok....be careful when you hop onto the bandwagon....don't twist anything.
oh really... I'm so sorry about that, but you must understand why we Americans are like that. Where are you from?

I think a big reason why Americans are so closed minded is because we are sooooooooooooooo far away from everyone else. We get plenty of immigrants from other countries, but the country is so big that a lot of us don't encounter them on a daily basis. We are so used to being around people who have lived here for at least 10 years.

European countries are so much smaller and clustered together that I'm sure that if you live there you are constantly exposed to other cultures. We tend to get so "American minded" in our isolation that we forget about how other governments are run (indeed, I was never taught any system of government except American, English, Nazi, outdated monarchies, and the gist of communism. We don't extensively study other cultures) America is TRULY home of the brainwashed. The intelligent are still victims of it.

I'd just like to apologize on our behalf, but technically it is not our fault... we were taught to be highly patriotic and it is hard to get out of the sheep mindset no matter how hard we try.
I thought I heard knocking. And I always wondered why the St. Lawrence Seaway didn't start in Anchorage. Oh, and thanks for sacking the White House. We were gonna remodel anyhow. You missed a golden opportunity for a repeat performance during the Bush years, but we're using the White House again, so please hold off for a while.
There's a lot of stuff missing from US history textbooks, but yeah, the War of 1812 is given short shrift. Like what did Napoleon and Tolstoy have to do with it? I like the overture, but why did a Russian write it? And did we really have a president married to a snack cake? Very confusing.

As to your point about the US never losing on its own soil, I'd say the Civil War was a loss on US soil, at least for some states. And we missed an opportunity to shed Texas (I liked 'em better as an independent republic), so there's another case where we lost by winning, and somehow, that includes the Bushes again. Speaking of, I'll have to read up on how the US gained Maine out of the 1812 affair. One does not usually gain territory by being invaded and having one's capital sacked.
The Confederate States of America seceded. If we are considering them "states" in the correct term meaning "nations" then yes, the conquored territories lost. The United States won the war, however.

and OH if we only shed texas...
Well, I was trying to say that when a nation fights itself it loses, even if it wins, but I didn't say it right.
It'd take me a couple days to drive to Canada... if I had a car... and a visa.

And, while I'm not contradicting your basic point that Americans are more ignorant than they ought to be, a Canadian learning about the superpower next door, and an American learning about a country that's not more politically significant than a few dozen others... it's not like the examples are really equal.

Now, if the average Canadian were to learn about the ins and outs of each individual state's politics, and memorize each state's current representatives in Congress and the Senate, and keep up to date on all of that, then I'd be impressed.

I don't mean any insult to Canada, or to suggest that it's not an important country, or even denying that most Americans are much more ignorant than they ought to be, I'm just pointing out that it makes sense for a Canadian to be better informed about American politics than those of, say, Bahrain, and it makes sense for Americans to be more personally concerned or informed about North Korea, China and so on than Canada.
Aaron, US citizens (and resident aliens) don't need a visa to visit Canada, just a passport. You didn't even need a passport until recently. Apparently, Canada caused us some trouble on 9/11/2001. Or was it Iraq? Damn. So confusing. Anyway, it's not so much getting into Canada that's the problem, but getting back into the states. Which is kind of silly, considering Canada is the biggest trading partner of the US (and vice versa). Plus, there's that whole NAFTA thing, which is supposed to eliminate barriers between us. Not to mention nearly two hundred years of friendly relations, essentially open borders, etc, etc. People in the US ought to pay more attention to Canada, but we treat them sort of like New Mexico--a foreign country within our borders. You know, like Quebec. Or like Minnesota, but with a funny accent. And yes, I've seen Fargo. I think you're right that the US takes Canada for granted, though, because we've been pals for so long; other countries worry us more. The other way 'round, I'm not so sure, as Glen points out. Even if we don't roll over on Canada in our sleep, we have a tendency to hog the blankets.

And Glen, I don't think Ahnold has been such a disaster. Maria Shriver knows where he sleeps, after all. There's only so much he can get away with. Which is not to say that California politics are in any way functional. In fact, it seems like it won't be long before California is knocking on Canada's door for help with education and infrastructure, in exchange for shipping heat north to you in the winter. I live in Washington State, so I'm sure the pipeline will go right by my house.
why would you EVER not watch FOX? They are fucking hilarious! xD

O'riley is so stupid I swear sometimes I think he's pulling a satire
well true, but I myself have never even seen a Canadian here. Plus, We never bothered to study your government in our egocentric society. Is your government similar? LOL I never really even hear about Canada. The US is one big culture of people who actually chose their ignorance.

And by the way... MANY other countries know the states, capitals, and basic geography better than Americans. Our comedians can't stop making fun of it. it's not MY fault! blame the education system!!! (I feel so smart actually knowing geography in relation to the idiots around me, but I must seem like a geography idiot to someone in another country lol)

It wouldn't be hard? HAHAHAHAHA just look at the idiots that we have at the head of the country. Haven't you seen religlous?

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service