Would it be too demanding from the US citizens here on A|N, at least those who post in non-localized groups, to avoid starting discussions on general topics, and then write things like our government, our Nation, our country, our Constitution, our education system, or our Health and Welfare, without even mentioning they're writing from an US of A perspective first? At first it may be amusing, after a while it becomes boring and offensive. As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders (a common gripe towards Americans).

It's OK to behave like that in the American Atheists or Texas Heathens groups, I think it's not in, eg, the ORIGINS group or the main forum. I'm well aware that most of its members are from the USA, but isn't A|N an international community?

Pardon the rant, but I've been around for only a few months, and I've seen this happen at least half a dozen times already. I thought it had to be reported.

Thanks for your attention and consideration.

Views: 634

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a excellent idea.
As if US citizens weren't aware there's a world beyond their borders

Most aren't. I brought this very issue up earlier. You can see the response was deafening.

Would someone please offer me asylum somewhere outside of the Irony Curtain?
That map is wrong -

That map got me into a lot of trouble in when I was 13! I decided to copy it and pasted the world map handout in social studies in my book upside down. Teacher failed to get the joke and I had to rip it out.
Long after the fact, and probably way after you got chastised for doing that, let me offer you a hearty guffaw.
This is the map I wanted to buy for my kids... alas! I hadn't the pennies!
There seems to be a rather large continent missing from this map.
Whut? How can that be? There's no more room on the map.
I wondered why the computer was on when I woke up, and the cats were sound asleep!
Goooooo wastelandssss!
Welcome to the US. It is pervasive here and embarrassing. All I can say is you will never find that from me. Most people from the US have never even been to another country! Many have no desire to! It disgusts me.
How many stories have you heard from Murkans about how awful the toilet paper is in other parts of the world? I've heard it from two different US world travelers. Many friends outside the US have confirmed that Murkans seem to be obsessed with toilet paper quality. One did a grand tour of Germany, and when I asked them about their trip, that was all they told me about... toilet paper.

Well traveled does not necessarily equate worldliness (often just rich parents)

Oh yeah! A Scottish friend was marveling at how many Murkan accents he heard as he was standing outside a McDonald's in Rome.

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service