I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 18055

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The one just has more facts and a more logic about it , as apposed to the garden gnome...
Hi Scott , 99. plus all the possible 9's required
@Robert Raitz
@Vince Watkins
@Park Bierbower

before you call someone a coward for saying they are 99.999% positive(not "certain" which I'm seeing alot of in this thread but I digress) there is no god and Insinuating that they are gonna wait till their deathbed to renege. learn something first. the true nature of the uni/multiverse has not been revealed to us you arrogant F$%& boys.

watch the link and you might understand the perspective I was speaking from.
Read my very first blog and you'll know I'm no coward either.
I'm sorry, but yes, you aer a
I see you keep you manners in the same place you keep your rational discernment.

Again, if you wish to assert that there is a .00000000000001 chance of a thing existing, you would do well to offer a coherent definition of this thing.

In other words, provide a coherent definition of "God" or I will continue to maintain that you very literally don't know what you're talking about.
Yes, I can say it that absolutely there doesn't exist any such entity as god.

I'm 100% sure that Zeus does not exist.

I'm 100% sure Allah does not exist.

I'm 100% sure Yahweh does not exist.

I'm 100% sure that every "god" I have been informed about so far does not exist.

I'm 100% sure that the observable universe is not interfered with by a "purposeful entity".

Doesn't leave much to be unsure about, but I guess what's left conceptually still has no evidence to lead to the proposition, so I dismiss it trivially at this time.

The main problem with the god concept is it is totally whim based. As such it escapes the sensory boundaries of all proper nouns. It's an idea with no guts . Proof requires something to begin with.
More highly evolved beings somewhere in the universe is not proof of God either.
God seems to be a vestage of an idealize parental image the child constructs in infancy and then refuses to abandon. The parent(s) (are) seen as all knowing, all powerful and everlasting in relative measure to the infant's purchase on adult prerogatives.
This can only last into adulthood if the smitten practitioner abandons causality with respect to their own existence and that of the species at least to the degree such a conceptual sock puppet takes up residence in the minds of the deluded.

@ Clarence "God seems to be a vestage of an idealize parental image the child constructs in infancy and then refuses to abandon. The parent(s) (are) seen as all knowing, all powerful and everlasting in relative measure to the infant's purchase on adult prerogatives.
This can only last into adulthood if the smitten practitioner abandons causality with respect to their own existence and that of the species at least to the degree such a conceptual sock puppet takes up residence in the minds of the deluded."

I have also often thought something similar about our teachers at school. From the age of 4 until 17 we are thought to obey the teachers instructions, as they watch over everything we do and punish us when we break the rules. Our parents do the same thing to us when we are children. And many of us as adults do the same thing to our own children. I guess if you go to church and learn that God is doing the same thing as our parents and teachers, it may seem only normal to believe in god as we believe in our parents and teachers.

(Sorry to bore anybody reading this thread by reposting my post. But it keeps getting tacked onto the wrong person, so just re-posting it at the end because this error is bugging me)

@Chres "Christianity, for all that they do, cannot prove to the disbelievers that there is a supreme being. Atheists, for all that they want to do, cannot prove that there is not. Either step is a leap of faith, and if you choose a side, then you're deciding to believe something that cannot be objectively proven.
Period."

I'm going to assume that when you mention proof, you are talking about scientific proof.
And yes, there is no scientific proof either way. This is because God has never been observed in the natural world. And he never will be.

But there is logic that can be used. Philosophical logic. And I think this is what many people here are using as the basis of their arguments.

I'm not saying I think there is. I'm simply saying that whether there is or isn't is irrelevant, and any decision made otherwise is a conscious effort toward something personal.

Although I know as a fact there is no God, I like reading peoples comments here, including yours, because I am wondering why we humans believe in gods and why many of us atheists still have a tiny bit of room in our minds to accommodate stone/bronze age thought and philosophy. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service