I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 14631

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh I understand the concept of infinite regression, I simply find that most people that try to prove the existence of god fall on extremely vague definitions in order to avoid the easy counters and so are basically left with the word god meaning basically any origin one could fathom.  The word is rendered entirely meaningless in these contexts and the debates become pointless and frustrating.

That or it becomes a case of special pleading where god is the one exception to the everything has a cause rule.

I concur. The moment properties are attributed to any proposal, the simpler it becomes to prove/disprove. God's greatest champions try to keep him as vague as possible often to the point of not defining him at all. The trick is to contrive a being which qualifies as a deity and is not incoherent/oxymoronic. Which is to contrive a being which has a quality while simultaneously not having it... which is further oxymoron.

Hey Scott,

Congratulations, nearly 70 pages and no end in sight ... normally you have to be a really cute girl with a provocative photo to get this much attention !!  ;-)

Let me float this suggestion : is it possible you have received so many responses becasue folks aren't as sure as they purport?  To paraphrase ol' Will Shakespeare: " methinks [they] doth protest too much

That is an interesting hunch. As many of us were reared in religion, there might logically be a bit of it still taped upon us. I for one always found the notion rather heinous. I didn't like the idea of an all knowing being watching me while I slept, or carried on the rest of my existence. I especially detested the idea that the master of the universe was a spectator to any private... exertions, shall we say.

But I think a lot of people find comfort rather than offense in the idea that there is a galactic gastapo and that it is somehow working in their favor. For my own part, my mother proposed reincarnation from a tender age as if it were a given. While I don't believe it for lack of evidence of both the process and a soul to endure the process, were we to vote, I would certainly choose for reincarnation to be real.

But reality is not a democracy.

I am reading a most refreshing book : The Atheist's Way - subtitled Living Well Without Gods by  Eric Maisel.It is a wonderfully empowering and inspiring read for anyone going through religion withdrawal and rebuilding their worldview. I'd recommend it highly to all

False Memory, I think you ought to consider changing your name to "False Premise." :)

It is as rationally possible to prove a negative as a positive.

Again, the circumstances people offer as proof are also circumstances where they cannot prove a positive. All they are really saying is that they can contrive such a thing so vague or so distant that there is not enough data available to prove it either way. Fine. But that is not the same thing as not being able to prove a negative.

But some things contradict themselves by ascribing properties that cannot exist simultaneously as you have done with dreadful Aunt Lucy who is simultaneously dead and nocturnally disposed to bestiality. We know that for a person to carry out any activity, they must be alive. We know that being dead prohibits such activity as a corpse is unable to take in and metabolize and use sustenance. Since dead cells do not take in glucose or cause muscle to be able to move, there is no possibility that any dead person spends their evenings fondling the nether regions of felines.

You may assert that you have some new definition of "dead" that allows for kitty-groping zombies, but I don't think the medical community or the fine folks at Websters (or me) will accept that the state of being dead doesn't actually require the corpse to actually be dead. Your premise will be rejected.

Not to mention the fact that I don't have an Aunt Lucy.

So, the negative of your assertion is rationally proven.

You are a bastion of reason, Vince.
God is a human concept. Do bugs or amoebas call us God.
Whoa , I was with you big A until you leaned the the negative about people like myself who abhor  the negative energy put into trying to unbelieve 100%  Give it up,  we make daily life decisons important ones on 51/49 evidence . Life and death decisions on 70/30,  Why do we need 100% on such foolish conjecture as a all,all,all. Man, GOD....bullshit. Why can't "we" who at least know better truck forward in life embracing positve energy, science.  For all the rest of those idiots they belive and don't want to know , they are not going to change until they go or get sent to "no find" thier GGGGOOOOODDDD. 
100% sure no doubt :)

I am 1000% positive that all this gods muck garbage is purely made up rubbish.

It was made up eons ago to keep people subordinate and has evolved into the slaughterous mess that has infected all of our otherwise fantastic planet.

I wish all the godgobbers would hurry up and finish murdering each other into extinction.

Especially the filthy godgobbers who use religion to sexually abuse kids.Which is another part of the gods muck and jehovah jiving jesus junk.

how much more g?d bull shit can our Earth and we take?

100%   their is no G$ds, or a g0d!!!!! 

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service