I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 17130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are you referring to the work of Israeli archaeologist Israel Finkelstein? Though I have to add that most archaeologists working in the Levant share his views on the The Bible's general lack of historicity.  Lewis Black does an interesting bit on the Christian misuse of "his people's" book. He is very vocal about his ancestor's propensity to "bullshit" & "make shit up".

Of course making up colourful stories about one's ancestors & their relationships with a host of imaginary friends is a universal human pursuit.

I have given my point of view many times in this long-running thread. It has always seemed to me (that is, since childhood) that the concept of god has no more substance than any other piece of invented fiction. 

It is getting a bit old, isn't it Terry?! However, there are always new people coming along asking the same old question, and there needs to be someone to reassure the doubters.

It feels so good to get off the fence and take a stand on a position that has such little chance of being overturned. Now, we need to get on with creating a culture that builds on the stones of the ancient past and looks to the reality of all that is. We do need to remember the past and understand those ancient peoples and create morals and ethics that value cooperation.

I am concerned about the militant religious, whether Abrahamic faiths, Asian, or any other tradition. We need a new ethic.  

What gives you that 0.0001% uncertainty?

My understanding would be that this is a token concession thrown in not because of any actual uncertainty, but as a practical matter to get the idiots who protest with "You can't prove God doesn't exist" to STFU because that's such a worthless conversation. I don't really care if they want to call me an atheist or an agnostic.

Madhukar.....I agree with you.  Using that  very small % is just a way of appeasing the Theists......You either  believe  or you don't  believe, it is pretty simple....If  someone  doesn't  like  that answer  then that is their problem....

Perfect question! Not worth a gnats eyebrow. Might as well come down off the fence. 

As am fucking I!

This has been a very helpful discussion. It has lead me to new areas of research which have clarified my thoughts on the matter.

No supernatural claim has ever been scientifically confirmed. Quite the opposite. If you set up a fair, controlled, test supernatural claims will always fail.

Consciousness is entirely the result of processes within the physical brain. No "immaterial" soul.

When someone claims they are "talking to god" or "feel the holy spirit" MRI's have shown that the parts of the brain which evolved to help us model other personalities are active. That person is talking to his, or her, own self, not some spurious entity.

Religions, which claim knowledge of the gods/god/goddess, are created by political elites to legitimize their hold on power & fleece the poor. Religion is a scam. Remember: No Christ, no cash.

People create the fictional characters known as gods. They then write stories in which the gods & goddesses act out the ideas, feelings & beliefs of the authors.

Finally, theologians have not even been unable to come up with a satisfactory definition of what they mean by the term "god".

I think these are pretty good arguments for the non-existance of deities of any sort, never mind the Xian god.

Therefore I conclude that god does not exist & anyone who claims otherwise is ignorant of the facts, in denial of the facts, or trying to mislead me.

Lord Byron (1788-1824) was ahead of his time when he syllogised: 

"Those who will not reason, are bigots, those who cannot, are fools, and those who dare not, are slaves." 

Very nice! Thanks for sharing the quote.

Terry, this is so fine, it is worthy of being tattooed on my forehead!  Just kidding of course, but it is about as close to fact as I can muster. 

Update Your Membership :

Nexus on Social Media:

Latest Activity

tom sarbeck replied to Daniel Wachenheim's discussion Wow, we've survived 3 US presidential debates!
11 minutes ago
Amy May is now a member of Atheist Nexus
11 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted photos
12 minutes ago
Kaleb Denton Smith posted a status
"Hey there. Being as recently Atheist as I am I'm currently interested in conversion stories. being born open minded or Christian extremest"
35 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan commented on Joan Denoo's group Politics, Economics, and Religion
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Plinius commented on Calla's group Nexus Book Club
1 hour ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Daniel Wachenheim's discussion Wow, we've survived 3 US presidential debates!
1 hour ago

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service