I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 18056

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

so, you're saying any findings in quantum physics must be de facto incomplete because they do not agree with laws of logic?

Current findings are incomplete because they do not agree with the law of identity. I think to acquire an objective understanding of particle physics, it will require ever increasing amounts of energy. A true limit to our perception. I think it makes very little sense, if any, to probe smaller than we can possibly see or to talk about something smaller than a string. I am perfectly OK with QM being a very useful tool to measure extreme metaphysical exactitude, but not as a foundation for epistemology. Since our ability to learn and gain knowledge of the world is dependent on identity.

The randomness is a demonstration of an incomplete theory, not a demonstration of the fallibility of logic.

I think it is very possible that eventually, with advancements in our understanding, say if we are able to measure the geometries of the extra dimensions in string theory, things will stop appearing random.

You make the assumption that there is not a resolution of abstraction as there would be if we were a simulation. hence the the possibilities would not be infinite but just practically infinite.

MCT I agree, absolutely.  Lawrence Krauss, theoretical physicist, makes no sense to me ... until he tells stories!  OH!  I see what he means.  Maybe I am capable of understanding you. 

MCT, And, reason and logic are necessary and not sufficient to understanding nature. There is more to the story of the universe to be recognized.  We have not ended our discovery with reason and logic, there is more to learn.  At 75, I won't be around to bear witness to those coming discoveries, but I surely have enough from the past to keep me interested until the day of my last breath.  

David, Yes, Why?

No there is an extremely low probability in quantum physics that you could walk through a wall.......it is just fantastically low and paradoxically you may not exist in the universe it occurs in. Hows that to wake you up....

I can not tolerate Chopra.........he is a bloody fool.

VeganApe, is Chopra a fool or exploiter? or manipulator?

Yeah, I've heard that many times before. Your reasoning is faulty. Regardless of what you may have heard, it does not logically follow from quantum theory that impossible shit can happen. Runaway phantasmagoria. Really exact; that's its domain, the quantum world. If a man could walk through a wall, the concepts of man and wall would be meaningless. Check your premise. If you come to a conclusion like apples may spontaneous appear or disappear every really long time or so, then you've got something wrong. 

This is untrue. given enough time it is possible. It is also true that it would more than likely take more time than any universe would exist for. Obviously it is ridiculous because in all probability the person trying would not only have perished billions or trillions of years prior and so to the resident galaxy in the no longer existing universe. However the point was that one should probably not use 100% when indicating certainty as you will leave yourself open to a needlessly complex argument. cheers.

Regards

VeganApe

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
17 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
24 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
27 minutes ago
Tom Brock replied to jlaz's discussion Is "God" possible?
3 hours ago
Mel Quay commented on Daniel W's group Godless in the garden
4 hours ago
Tom Brock posted a status
"Technology is the new religion and Artificial Intelligence may be our new god. Leave your epitaph for humanity at www.humanitybeacon.com"
4 hours ago
Thomas Murray commented on Loren Miller's group Quotations – Momentous, Memorable, Meaningful
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo replied to Mel Quay's discussion Weekly Sunday Get-together...
4 hours ago

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service