I wanted to put this question out there to see how strongly everyone feels on this subject. Being that most of us trust in scientific fact and reasoning, I was wondering if everyone is absolutely, undeniably, 100% sure that a god doesn't exist.  I personally take into account that there is no proof of any cosmic creator so therefore I am about 99.9999% sure that there is no god. However we all agree that science is an ever evolving field and I don't think that there will ever be any proof to support the existence of a supreme being, but I can't be 100% sure until there is concrete proof against one. I would like to know what all of your thoughts on this.  

Views: 18058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to hear it Joan.

That the probability of some sort of god is non zero lends nothing to its likelihood. The odds of some milkmaid floating around the Cosmos milking a cow is similarly non zero, there's a zillion possibilities never yet thought of that would have a  positive probability: they too would be wisely ignored.

While there are several different interpretations of probability, even more than one objective interpretation, it is hard to see how to assign anything other than a subjective probability to the existence of an entity so ill-defined as a god.

Of course the subjective probability is whatever you want it to be, so you could say that it is 0 or 1 if you like. Pascal in the famous wager seems to assign probability .5 to the existence of God—there are just two (equally likely) possibilities. There does not seem to be any justification for this.

In any case assigning any probability to the existence of a god is really questionable.

I personaly think that some all supreme being makes no sense. I always hear theist bring up the argument saying that it is impossible for something to come from nothing which is a law. But what is preventing that from happening when in a place where nothing exists also means laws don't exist. Though of course there is no way to know what could've set the chain of events that sent our univers into existence. I think it was just a lawless acident.

In my opinion, saying you are 100% sure is not a lot better (in intellectual terms) than being a true believer. The point is no one can say for certain, but after examining all the evidence (or complete lack thereof), I feel very confident! I always explain it the way Richard Dawkins does: no one can say for certain that fairies don't exist either, but given the lack of evidence, it is absurd to believe they do. Belief in a god is the same.

Subjectively I'm 100% certain there is no god. Objectively I have to allow for my own bias , therefore a god has to be a possibility outside of my ignorance. But the question being am I sure there's no god? Yes I'm sure there's no god.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service