One of the things that has been on my mind... I'm sure this has been examined by some atheists somewhere, but I haven't run into it (I don't do much reading).  It's just a bit more explicit in my mind than it used to be.  
Once you start to realize how big and complex the universe is, in my view, this provides an argument (inductive?) against any possibility of a god that is all-powerful (one which controls every quark/molecule/etc., at all times, in all ways) .  As for a non-all-powerful God, I suppose some might say that still fits their hypothesis.

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The late Herbert W. Armstrong thought that "god was reproducing himself" in us. He also came up with "British Israelism." This is the "proof" that Jesus did not come only for the Jews. All the promises are passed down to Britain and then on to us in America today. The Jews rejected it all and the mantle of god is passed on to us so we can argue about it and start over 4000 denominations of Christianity.

I liked things better when I could put my sins on a goat and then drive it off into the wilderness.

The idea of god reproducing himself in us is very similar to the oft-stated phrase that "your body is a temple."

As 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 states:

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

At the very least, god owns us and we are only leasing our worldly bodies until, I suppose, we arrive in heaven.  It all sounds very legit.

As far as casting my sins into a goat, I'd rather keep the goat for the meat and the milk for cheese and cast my sins into a human I don't much like and send them off a cliff.

I will say definitely not the god of the Abrahamic  (Jew, Christian, Islam) religions. I still have some quibbles with atheists who say they like Jesus and yet they don't know many of his supposed sayings that are also ascribed to him in the NT. I have also read things about the Hindu religion, I both like and laugh about one of their gods the elephant headed on named Ganesha. During my junior high learning days, I had a great liking of Odin, he hung from a tree for 9 days, and his wife Frigg. That learning also said that they were the parents of all the current gods.

So all of my observation and learning has caused me to concur with Mark Twain and his saying of:

If there is a god he is a malign thug.

The Jesus that I liked was the cherry picked Jesus of the New Pesterment.  Testament. That was during my church days when I was not aware that he was cherry picked indeed. The real Jesus (if there was one) believed in talking snakes, killing certain people, and said he came for the Jews and would not change one bit of the OT law. Then we have those childhood writings about him where he killed enemies and even made birds out of mud that came alive and flew away. 

Believers think it strange that I have trouble dealing with all of this because they "know their Jesus." Imagine for one moment that you have writings of these things concerning Julius Caesar or Abraham Lincoln. Would you believe them? Nothing this bizarre was said of either of these men and it was claimed that Caesar was also a god.

The fact remains that when the god of heaven (the Abrahamic god) decided to reveal himself to mankind the proof came from the writings of Bronze Age sheep and goat herders. I shake and quake at the profound revelation as if it came from the hammer of Thor himself.

Can Artificial Intelligence contemplate God?  

http://www.profyte.com/wp/2016/03/ai-contemplating-god/

Here is how I can show that an all-knowing all-powerful god is impossible.  In order to be all-knowing, god has to know what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes.  If god knows what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes, she or he cannot change what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes.  If god cannot change what she or he will be doing in 5 minutes, he or she is not all-powerful.  Thus, a god cannot be both all-knowing and all-powerful.  One can object that god is outside of time, so this argument is invalid.  However, if god is outside time, when does he or she exist?  The answer has to be that he or she never existed, does not exist, and never will exist.  That is, god does not exist.

jlaz, I have for weeks wanted to ask...

When you started this discussion, did you consider:

1) naming it "Is 'God' provable?", or

2) starting another named "Is 'God' provable?"

I ask that because so much more is possible than is provable.

IMO, a discussion on the possibility might never end and seems masochistic.

Raza Asian, a religious scholar may be interesing to some atheists.

This link is an introduction.

A biography of Jesus. How would I handle that? How would I write about his 40 days and 40 nights in the desert? What does that mean? How do we explain that the Devil took him into a high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world? It must have been a damned high mountain indeed.

Let's go back also into his baptism by John in which a bird lights on his shoulder as the Holy Ghost and a loud voice from heaven declares that he is god's only son. If there are any that witness this event do they shake and quake, then run away to tell everyone what they have just heard and witnessed? How do we understand these things as a real happening?

I'm back where I started. How do we handle writing a biography of Jesus? From what source would we possibly get our information? My 2 examples come out of our known biblical scriptures themselves but as we see plainly, nothing is remotely accurate. How would I defend such nonsense?

God exists in the mind of the beholder.

I used to think it was a collective mind. As I learn more about religiounist I understand god is in their personal mind.

I guess that worshiping god for some people is a form of self worship.

In a way belief in god should be viewed as a form of psycosis.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service