One of the things that has been on my mind... I'm sure this has been examined by some atheists somewhere, but I haven't run into it (I don't do much reading).  It's just a bit more explicit in my mind than it used to be.  
Once you start to realize how big and complex the universe is, in my view, this provides an argument (inductive?) against any possibility of a god that is all-powerful (one which controls every quark/molecule/etc., at all times, in all ways) .  As for a non-all-powerful God, I suppose some might say that still fits their hypothesis.

Views: 341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll second that "FUCK NO!"  I left quilt and fear behind the second I found-out gods did not exist.

I can imagine an all-powerful, all-knowing god IF that god is uncaring. Or at least uncaring about our tiny corner of The Milky Way.

To say such a being is likely is another thing. Lack of understanding does not indicate (or even suggest) a god. #GodOfTheGaps #ArgumentFromIgnorance #ArgumentFromIncredulity

The thing about all gods, Yahweh included, is that they are so uncaring and so uninvolved in the day-to-day of humankind that their behavior is indistinguishable from Something That Doesn't Exist ... whereupon Occam's Razor slices any proposed deity to ribbons.

We can't even guess how many inhabited planets there are.  One?  Unlikely.  Dozens?  Hundreds? ... Millions?  

Now picture one entity listening to the whims of each denizen of each planet, deciding whether to grant the wish or not, and doing it.  

Inconceivable?  To me, anyway.

For me the whole idea just breaks down.  

Then when you try to believe everything in the Old Testament?  No way.

Spontaneous generation?  I don't know, but it's not as silly on the face of it as the loving, omniscient, omnipotent deity.

If you have ever waded around in all the biblical muck about god you end up in the NT where believers get all these wonderful descriptions of god characteristics and you find it all boils down to humanistic family ideas. The theist will tell you this is the only way that we humans would understand it and they also tell you that god is creating his family. Some go so far as to say that god is reproducing himself in us. A close look at this and you see exactly where ideas of god came from.

Mankind wants to have all the answers. This is "one upmanship" over the other guy and believers constantly make up crap to explain all the nonsense. Many buy into it. Years ago I did too.

Is a god being possible like the one described in the bible? I seriously doubt it. What would be the point of it? If god knew everything in advance it would make no sense. What am I being "saved" from when the negative force is bound forever in the end? Why am I praising god forever when he knew exactly how it would all play out from the beginning?

Do a little thinking on that and you find god to be imaginary.

Jiaz,

I am just wondering how come you and I, and everybody else, are not a God. What ever the answer is can't the same answer be applied to a God?

The late Herbert W. Armstrong thought that "god was reproducing himself" in us. He also came up with "British Israelism." This is the "proof" that Jesus did not come only for the Jews. All the promises are passed down to Britain and then on to us in America today. The Jews rejected it all and the mantle of god is passed on to us so we can argue about it and start over 4000 denominations of Christianity.

I liked things better when I could put my sins on a goat and then drive it off into the wilderness.

The idea of god reproducing himself in us is very similar to the oft-stated phrase that "your body is a temple."

As 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 states:

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies."

At the very least, god owns us and we are only leasing our worldly bodies until, I suppose, we arrive in heaven.  It all sounds very legit.

As far as casting my sins into a goat, I'd rather keep the goat for the meat and the milk for cheese and cast my sins into a human I don't much like and send them off a cliff.

I will say definitely not the god of the Abrahamic  (Jew, Christian, Islam) religions. I still have some quibbles with atheists who say they like Jesus and yet they don't know many of his supposed sayings that are also ascribed to him in the NT. I have also read things about the Hindu religion, I both like and laugh about one of their gods the elephant headed on named Ganesha. During my junior high learning days, I had a great liking of Odin, he hung from a tree for 9 days, and his wife Frigg. That learning also said that they were the parents of all the current gods.

So all of my observation and learning has caused me to concur with Mark Twain and his saying of:

If there is a god he is a malign thug.

The Jesus that I liked was the cherry picked Jesus of the New Pesterment.  Testament. That was during my church days when I was not aware that he was cherry picked indeed. The real Jesus (if there was one) believed in talking snakes, killing certain people, and said he came for the Jews and would not change one bit of the OT law. Then we have those childhood writings about him where he killed enemies and even made birds out of mud that came alive and flew away. 

Believers think it strange that I have trouble dealing with all of this because they "know their Jesus." Imagine for one moment that you have writings of these things concerning Julius Caesar or Abraham Lincoln. Would you believe them? Nothing this bizarre was said of either of these men and it was claimed that Caesar was also a god.

The fact remains that when the god of heaven (the Abrahamic god) decided to reveal himself to mankind the proof came from the writings of Bronze Age sheep and goat herders. I shake and quake at the profound revelation as if it came from the hammer of Thor himself.

Can Artificial Intelligence contemplate God?  

http://www.profyte.com/wp/2016/03/ai-contemplating-god/

Here is how I can show that an all-knowing all-powerful god is impossible.  In order to be all-knowing, god has to know what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes.  If god knows what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes, she or he cannot change what he or she will be doing in 5 minutes.  If god cannot change what she or he will be doing in 5 minutes, he or she is not all-powerful.  Thus, a god cannot be both all-knowing and all-powerful.  One can object that god is outside of time, so this argument is invalid.  However, if god is outside time, when does he or she exist?  The answer has to be that he or she never existed, does not exist, and never will exist.  That is, god does not exist.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service