One of the things that has been on my mind... I'm sure this has been examined by some atheists somewhere, but I haven't run into it (I don't do much reading).  It's just a bit more explicit in my mind than it used to be.  
Once you start to realize how big and complex the universe is, in my view, this provides an argument (inductive?) against any possibility of a god that is all-powerful (one which controls every quark/molecule/etc., at all times, in all ways) .  As for a non-all-powerful God, I suppose some might say that still fits their hypothesis.

Views: 360

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

jlaz, I have for weeks wanted to ask...

When you started this discussion, did you consider:

1) naming it "Is 'God' provable?", or

2) starting another named "Is 'God' provable?"

I ask that because so much more is possible than is provable.

IMO, a discussion on the possibility might never end and seems masochistic.

Raza Asian, a religious scholar may be interesing to some atheists.

This link is an introduction.

A biography of Jesus. How would I handle that? How would I write about his 40 days and 40 nights in the desert? What does that mean? How do we explain that the Devil took him into a high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world? It must have been a damned high mountain indeed.

Let's go back also into his baptism by John in which a bird lights on his shoulder as the Holy Ghost and a loud voice from heaven declares that he is god's only son. If there are any that witness this event do they shake and quake, then run away to tell everyone what they have just heard and witnessed? How do we understand these things as a real happening?

I'm back where I started. How do we handle writing a biography of Jesus? From what source would we possibly get our information? My 2 examples come out of our known biblical scriptures themselves but as we see plainly, nothing is remotely accurate. How would I defend such nonsense?

An even more basic question regarding those 40 days and nights with the devil is: who witnessed it?  Did Jesus relate his experience to someone else?  If so, who was this person?  If not, How Do We Know It Really Happened?!?  It's like they business of the Resurrection, where the women went away from the tomb, supposedly telling no one, yet SOMEONE learned about it ... or made it up!

It's examples like these which demonstrate that we're not talking so much about recording history as indulging in the telling of tall tales ... and as regards that latter category, there is an old but frequently true saying regarding them:

The First Liar Doesn't Have a Chance.

God exists in the mind of the beholder.

I used to think it was a collective mind. As I learn more about religiounist I understand god is in their personal mind.

I guess that worshiping god for some people is a form of self worship.

In a way belief in god should be viewed as a form of psycosis.

Is the human mind able to delude itself?

Of course it is; I’m almost 87 and a favorite entertaiment is sexual fantasy.

That's a good example, Tom. I'm sure most people share it whether aware of it or not.

Again, into is the human mind able to delude itself, I have another example. Anyone ever put something away and not be able to find it again later? You looked for it 4 times and it was not there. Finally you find it right where it is supposed to be. The reality here is that it was there the entire time but you just did not see it. Your mind did that to you. This can also work in reverse and you see something that is not there.

The religious world sees ghosts, demons, devils, Jesus, god, and the Virgin Mary. If in good standing with their deity they know these things are true and have felt moved spiritually by the experience. A non-believer might not feel or experience any of it. The human mind is a 2 way street in the manner of its delusions. Error in thinking is when people tell you "Jesus was there the entire time."

Spirituality is not part of the objective world. Subjective things have no proof and always go into the realm of "what if."

The question should be "What is God?"

Rather than "Is God possible?"

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service