Is it possible for an atheist to believe in an after-life?

I know this is a dumb question but its bugging me. As an atheist from the age of 9 I was always a little envious of religious people as they had the hope (no matter how illogical) of an after-life. All I had to look forward to as an atheist was being worm food. Last week-end after quite a few rum and cokes I came up with an idea how an atheist could legitimately have the hope of an afterlife. It is based on the theory of the Big Bang. This theory explains how the universe was created but cannot explain how the original expansion of the universe occurred from nothing. I had the idea that it did not  occur from nothing but in fact occurred from the expansion of a previously contracted universe. The theory is that the universe expands out from its state of maximum contraction until it reaches its maximum expansion and then contracts back. This process is infinite as energy cannot be created or destroyed but merely changed from one form to another. If this process is indeed infinite then at some point I will exist again (and again) in another universe under slightly differing circumstances each time.

I created a webpage which explains the idea better and would appreciate it if people could take a look and criticize the logic. The page is http://bangism.wordpress.com/

Please just take a minute to look and let me know if it makes sense or if I have totally lost the plot.

Thanks

Alan

Views: 1511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Where was this said? I just scrolled through all 4 pages and saw the word "god" once, but I may have missed another instance...I also didn't note one time that anyone just started talking about how god didn't exist...please point me to those posts, because I just don't see them...I saw one time that someone said that what you are saying isn't different from someone believing in god...But that's not what you are accusing people of saying.

It wasnt here. I just posted one question here to gauge the response. It was a Facebook group. I was really disappointed. I think it was a scary idea to an atheist that there could be a logical theory for an after-life.

Wait, are you serious? That is kinda awesome in a twisted slightly evil way if you are.

Now evil is a theist concept. The idea was fun. I think my invented religion was to scientific; should have given it a deity. I had big plans of having Big Bang theory taught alongside Christianity in religion classes in much the same way as theists want intelligent design taught in science. Sort of beat em at their own game. Tax benefits would have been awesome to. Imagine pseudo-religious conferences in the tropics all tax deductible. Sale of T shirts with "Bangism finally a religion for scientists". Shame nobody joined!

lol. Scientists, by and large, are not a join-y group.

Exactly so.  Problem is, lots of people have beaten you to it, people like Pat Robertson, John Hagee, Kenneth Copeland, Benny Hinn, the late Reverend Ike and Jerry Fallwell ... do I need to go on?

But mine was actually logical! Maybe that's where I went wrong. It was too logical without a deity. Love the idea of getting Big Bang taught in religion classes though.

You can posit such a thing, and you can believe such a thing.  As an atheist, what I normally follow is logic and want to see proof or evidence of something before I accept any theory.  What you posit here is not very different than positing God, in terms of it's a personal belief but you have no evidence or proof for such thing.  Is believing in such a thing the same as believing in God?  No.  You just have the same amounts of proof for both concepts, which means on that basis I would reject them.

Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started. Wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unraveling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

"Since the dawn of man" is really not that long,
As every galaxy was formed in less time than it takes to sing this song.
A fraction of a second and the elements were made.
The bipeds stood up straight,
The dinosaurs all met their fate,
They tried to leap but they were late
And they all died (they froze their asses off)
The oceans and Pangea
See ya wouldn't wanna be ya
Set in motion by the same big bang!

It all started with the big BANG!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
It will pause and start to go the other way,
Collapsing ever inward, we won't be here, it won't be heard
Our best and brightest figure that it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
Debating how we're here, they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
Religion or astronomy (Descartes or Deuteronomy)
It all started with the big bang!

Music and mythology, Einstein and astrology
It all started with the big bang!
It all started with the big BANG!
I never was able to get into that show: it felt like the writers were still laughing AT us more than with us. But that has got to be the best reply in this thread.

Ok in reading this I have come to these conclusions about what you think:

(your thoughts paraphrased, NOT MY THOUGHTS)

*we may be reincarnated in some way if there is a cyclic universe

*if we are reincarnated, it will be under different circumstances, and we will be different people because of this

*we will not have a memory or a connection with that previous being

so.... why bother even worrying about it, or caring about it?  why not spend your time and website doing something more productive in your life?

Here is a pertinent quote from Anatole France:

We do not know what to do with this short life, yet we yearn for another one that will be eternal.

From the QI book of advanced banter from the show.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service