I have wondered for years if there is a correlation between atheism and left or right hemispherical dominance in the brain. I am right brained, (and left handed) 11/5. You can take the test yourself to determine your dominant side.

http://www.intelliscript.net/test_area/questionnaire/questionnaire....

I know the right brain is visually, emotionally, and creatively motivated and the left is logical, systematic, and mathamatical. I would like to know if there is a predominance of one side over the other in atheism.

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The quickest way to trash Newberg's research and utterly lay destruction to this silly notion is to simply run the same test again, but with an added group... one that is asked to make up and talk to an imaginary friend... get them to imagine having fun with them, etc.

The brains activity whether it be whilst imagining god or any other imaginary person/object/place they enjoy will yield the same results.

God exists only in our imaginations. So does the rest of nonsense.
Left Brain - 4
Right Brain - 11

I figured that. Im an artist who sucks at math.
I got L6R9, which is bullshit. I'm damn near autistic some of the time--major fucking LH influence there.

I am enough of a scientist and a good inductive reasoner (which is, ironically, I know, a right hemisphere trait) to get the impression that this test was cooked up by an overtly right-dominant person.

Exhibit A: Prompt 22 "I believe there are two sides to every story"
Every story has four BILLION sides. Mostly bacteria in people's guts, but their stories are valid, too. Seriously, though, there are only two sides to two-sided stories. In eight-sided stories, there are eight sides. Although, one might define story such that it is, by definition, one-sided. ...all complex thoughts aside, This question works best for the test taker to get accurate results if the test-taker is right-dominant when taking the test, anyway. It takes a snap judgement--hallmark of the right hemisphere--to give a useful answer to this question, as any level of analysis of the ACTUAL QUESTION AS ASKED shows that the question itself is wrong.

Exhibit B: Prompt 17 "I'd make a good detective"

What makes a good detective, anyway? Is it inductive reasoning like Holmes used, mislabelling it as deduction? Is it an ability to make accurate assessments of reality and find the culprit?

In the first case, that requires some skill in the right hemisphere--using examples subconsciously to make connections and induce, implying that right-hemispherity makes a good detective. In the second case, in the second case, it requires the insane searching for all possibilities that is found in children's logic puzzles--like the one with the fork in the road and the two guards, one of whom must always lie and the other of whom must always tell the truth--in addition to simple induction.

Performing just such a search for flaws in reasoning, I find that the notion that right-hemispherity makes a good detective to conflict with every observation I've ever made of right-hemispherity in action. Usually it is stupid and comes to no useful conclusions. Hell, though, maybe I've just been around nothing but dumbshits this whole time. Whatever.

Exhibit C: Prompt Null: No question was asked about whether the test-taker used a list to keep track of their either-way answers. A left-brained person will do such a thing, as I myself did, as I am concerned with getting correct answers (even from this test).

In conclusion, through its lack of having any semblance of an ability to actually uncover a person's balance, this test is officially worthless and should not be taken even remotely seriously. Topping it off with some inductive reasoning, it is possible that this test is more for the purposes of forming group identities--a classic RH concern not found in the individualistic left hemisphere. Basically, this test is for dumb 12 year-olds to get some idea of an identity (which they will drop after a week once they find a new identity to cling to).

To put it in its coffin, some people are in fact total dumbshits. The absolute level of mental activity is real, may be immesurable just yet, and is often more important than the balance of RH and LH influences in a person. If you're twice as left-dominant as right-dominant with 300 total units of intelligence, you will not be as good a scientist as someone twice as right-dominant as left-dominant who has 600 total units of intelligence. Essentially, the balance is irrelevant if the sum of either part of the fraction (LH/RH or RH/LH) is too low.

To bury and forget it, "coming to" atheism is generally a function of how much people actually care about whether they're right in what they think and say, which really has no useful correlation to the RH/LH ratio. There are atheists who rock at math and can't draw for crap, and there are atheists who are terrific artists and can't factor an algebraic expression for their life. Pulling from general principles, the concern for actually being right--facts versus views--science versus politics--lends credence to the idea that there's a slightly higher incidence of left-hemispherity in atheists. Naturally, empirical observation is the way to test this, but trying to test this with a shitty test that doesn't ask useful questions and was designed by one person on one side of the hemisphere divide features an error rate higher than the actual difference in hemisphere-preference that atheism has, which will leave you with a result that's in the noise and unreadable.

Fuck statistics; let's all learn neuroscience instead.
This was intended as food for thought, not an intro into the neurosciences! The test lacks sophistication. I was not trying to throw any weighty, incomprenedable language to any readers! I felt that if any spark of interest ignited, they could fuel their own fire by researching the topic.

And I thought I was over anylytical! If you truly feel you are autistic go here.

http://www.autismhelpforyou.com/Book%204%20-%20Left%20Brain%20Right...'s%20The%20Difference.htm
Right Brain/ Left Brain Quiz
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 4(4)
Right Brain Dominance: 12(12)

I'm left handed, and a professional hairdresser. I'm working on a degree centered more around the Creative Writing side of English. I've always been more into art and music as hobbies. I may not be very good at either thing, but damn they're fun.
The higher of these two numbers below indicates which side of your brain has dominance in your life. Realising your right brain/left brain tendancy will help you interact with and to understand others.
Left Brain Dominance: 6(6)
Right Brain Dominance: 9(9)
Yes you are! I did not recognize you at first! You changed your badge. My cookies are ready! Is your oven hot! lol!
Left Brain Dominance: 7(7)
Right Brain Dominance: 4(4)

Both of my scores are pretty low, does that mean I don't use my brain?
The test is somewhat generic so I would not read too much into it. It was meant to spark interest. I also believe the results are more dependent on the ratio of the two scores, not the actual values.
Only a left brained GENIUS would think that was funny. ;^)
I'm somewhat ambidexterous as well ;o)

Left Brain Dominance: 10(10)
Right Brain Dominance: 9(9)
Left Brain Dominance: 5(5)
Right Brain Dominance: 11(11)

NEAT!!

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service