I think it's time for Atheists to join STEM scientists and athletes in nonviolent protest of racial injustice and white supremacy.

US scientists take a knee to protest racism

Across the US, scientists have posted pictures to social media as part of the #ScientistsTakeAKnee campaign.

In pictures, videos and messages posted to social media on Tuesday (26.09.17), scientists in the United States joined an online debate highlighting racial injustice in the country.

Under the hashtag #ScientistsTakeAKnee, people or groups connected to the "STEM" fields of science, technology, engineering and math documented themselves as they dropped down to one knee in solidarity with African-Americans.

Take a knee: Dozens of NFL players stage biggest protest yet in res...

We too can should use social media to demonstrate that the hate speech coming from our government doesn't represent us. I'm not proud of our country right now.

Views: 199

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I commend and respect your service, Tom.  So you are literally saying when you have occasion to be at a ceremony or sports event or whatever and the national anthem is played you remain seated?  I'm not playing "gotcha" if you say "yes" then I respect you and I would be willing to punch in the face anyone who wants to force you to stand up. 

My thoughts? I respected their action.

I remember their doing that, Ruth.
The first to protest are the most courageous.
@ Jerry, it's not disrespectful. It's a valid, non violent, form of protest. We still have the right to peaceful protests. At least for awhile.
Maybe you like 45 idea better. Fire the son of a bitch.

Whether or not it is literally respectful or disrespectful I guess is more of a philosophical question, as is whether it is "valid."

It is a fact that it is widely, overwhelmingly considered by most Americans to be disrespectful.  That's a fact.

Your "right" to do so is not at question, I hope you are not implying I question that, I would fight to defend that right.

My issue is it is silly and deceptive to pretend anything other than standing quietly during the national anthem is respectful.  Be honest and just say you're being disrespectful, it's allowed.

Whether it's disrespectful or not is opinion. And that's a fact.

That's pretty much why I said:

"Whether or not it is literally respectful or disrespectful I guess is more of a philosophical question, as is whether it is "valid."

It is a fact that it is widely, overwhelmingly considered by most Americans to be disrespectful.  That's a fact."

Jerry, you be honest and just say whether nations are entitled to respect or do they have to earn respect.

Earn.  That was easy.  Your point?

Jerry, you said you would defend a right to protest.

Then, missing several opportunities to do so, you tried to shame people for protesting.

Philosophy isn't dead; it blinds some who study it.

If the police come to your door, or Ruth's, intent on arresting you for something you said here, I would want to fight, scratch, and claw to defend you.  It may not be practical, I have my own family to take care of but my inclination would be to help you in any way.

That kind of defense of a right to protest is quite fucking different from thinking I should personally approve, applaud, or respectfully be quiet if I think what is being said is bullshit.  Thinking someone's protest dopey, fatuous, disrespectful and counterproductive is different from wanting it squelched.

See the difference?

Hm-m-m, additional thoughts forty minutes later.

Jerry, while composing the above reply, I dredged up some of my memories of the two intro to philosophy courses I took 60-plus years ago. I have since then reviewed some of what I'd studied and looked at what was not included in those courses: existentialism and postmodernism.

Instead of philosopy's being dead, it's possible that the way it's being taught is dead. And, rather than blinding me, I can now say I needed something noisier to awaken me.

You and I might have had similar experiences. I will message you about that possibility.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service