Thom Hartmann's The Uncanny, Frightening Ways That Trump's America Mirrors Hitler's..., is among the most well written descriptions of today's US politics. Milton Mayer had interviewed ordinary Germans who lived through Hitler's rise and WWII. We have much to learn from their experience.

One, a college professor, told him:

What happened here was the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise; to receiving decisions deliberated in secret; to believing that the situation was so complicated that the government had to act on information which the people could not understand, or so dangerous that, even if the people could understand it, it could not be released because of national security....

“This separation of government from people, this widening of the gap, took place so gradually and so insensibly, each step disguised (perhaps not even intentionally) as a temporary emergency measure or associated with true patriotic allegiance or with real social purposes. And all the crises and reforms (real reforms, too) so occupied the people that they did not see the slow motion underneath, of the whole process of government growing remoter and remoter. ...

To live in this process is absolutely not to be able to notice it – please try to believe me – unless one has a much greater degree of political awareness, acuity, than most of us had ever had occasion to develop.

Each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained...

Another one of Mayer’s Nazi friends told him:

"Each act, each occasion, is worse than the last, but only a little worse. You wait for the next and the next.

“You wait for the one great shocking occasion, thinking that others, when such a shock comes, will join with you in resisting somehow. You don’t want to act, or even to talk, alone; you don’t want to ‘go out of your way to make trouble.’ Why not? – Well, you are not in the habit of doing it. And it is not just fear, fear of standing alone, that restrains you; it is also genuine uncertainty.

“Uncertainty is a very important factor, and, instead of decreasing as time goes on, it grows.

“Outside, in the streets, in the general community, everyone is happy. One hears no protest, and certainly sees none. ..

"You are saying that this must lead to this, and you can’t prove it. These are the beginnings, yes; but how do you know for sure when you don’t know the end, and how do you know, or even surmise, the end?"

"But the one great shocking occasion, when tens or hundreds or thousands will join with you, never comes."

“That’s the difficulty. If the last and worst act of the whole regime had come immediately after the first and the smallest, thousands, yes, millions would have been sufficiently shocked – if, let us say, the gassing of the Jews in ‘43 had come immediately after the ‘German Firm’ stickers on the windows of non-Jewish shops in ‘33.

“But of course this isn't the way it happens. In between come all the hundreds of little steps, some of them imperceptible, each of them preparing you not to be shocked by the next. Step C is not so much worse than Step B, and, if you did not make a stand at Step B, why should you at Step C? And so on to Step D.

“The world you live in – your nation, your people – is not the world you were in at all. The forms are all there, all untouched, all reassuring, the houses, the shops, the jobs, the mealtimes, the visits, the concerts, the cinema, the holidays.

“But the spirit, which you never noticed because you made the lifelong mistake of identifying it with the forms, is changed."

“Now you live in a world of hate and fear, and the people who hate and fear do not even know it themselves; when everyone is transformed, no one is transformed. Now you live in a system which rules without responsibility ..." [emphasis mine]

Governed by surprise. Decisions like tax law made in secret. That's our country, right now!

image sources: mirror room, concentration camp

Views: 171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Then I think the party bringing up something else or somebody else is doing so simply because they do not know how to respond to what you have said. If my remarks are about Trump then it is Trump that I am talking about, period. I once had a person reply back to me "what about Obama and AIG?" For the life of me I did not know what he was saying.

I do not believe that hints of fascism have been seen with every past president. To think this way I would have to be looking for fascism. When it comes to Trump I do not think I am "name calling." This is because he acts the part and brings it upon himself and his administration. I'm also not claiming we are experiencing a fascist takeover but I am saying the subtle changes seem to point in that direction. We are basically a one party system right now because of elected majority and it has become very ugly. Everything follows past history as to how other fascists have taken over little by little until the job was done.

The loss of our freedoms is not democracy. We are in a steady loss of freedom under this man Trump. I cannot follow his rhyme or reason and it appears he would like to make this situation permanent.

Will he go away after 8 years? I'm not sure. I cannot give him a benefit of doubt.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about our views about Fascism and some of the other points you have made, especially the intents of Trump. But your words help me understand your position better.

I can see your point about "Obama and AIG". Some people do that to purposely distract form the conversation. Others may be trying to develop the conversation, but forget to explain why they think it's related. Cheers!

Having watched TV today and seen Trump on the news, 2 things stood out to me.

1. Trump said again that he is an intelligent man and went to an ivy league school but the media is making him out to be dumb or stupid, and this is fake news. He doesn't understand why they are doing this to him. He doesn't get it. The media is only repeating what he himself had already said or tweeted.

2. Trump says Obamacare is done. It was completely dismantled in this tax bill that was passed and they hid that part from us. He felt they had to do that for it to pass.

While some continue to praise him I'm simply tongue tied. Is this the way we do things in America? Is this the kind of connection lawmakers have with the American people? Does our Constitution say this would be how to get something accomplished? You can tell where people stand with this bad behavior when they instantly start in with something about Obama or Hillary to avoid the subject of what is happening right now, or to avoid bad words and thoughts about Trump and crew. Lots of people are very upset and this is just plain wrong.

How long will it take before those in power decide that you cannot vote on anything? They have already decided that they will do what they want whether you like it or not.

I find when the President becomes too much to listen to then it's good to turn off the TV and have a drink. Actually, it's good to tune out from society for a week every once in a while.

Congress currently has Republican majorities in both legislative chambers. If we want to stop these sort of things we will need to get more Democrats in both chambers. I personally don't think it's good to have both chambers and the presidency to be one party. It may make legislation easier to pass, but it cuts out nearly half the other group unless there are turncoats.

True, and this is exactly why we have so much objection right now.

Talking again with my insurance lady recently, I bring it up that Trump admits "withholding info on the demise of Obamacare" from us and says it was all for the better to do it that way. Trump says Obamacare is gone now in this hurried vote that they rushed through at last minute. My remarks were that you cannot trust this man. It should be illegal for him to withhold info this way.

My insurance lady agreed that it was illegal. She explained that what she meant was Obama fining you at the end of the year if you had no insurance. She said it was un-Constitutional. What I meant, of course, was a lying POS of a POTUS who admitted that he withheld info from the public in order to get something passed.

I make no excuses for Trump. I call bullshit on him all the time. After a year others just keep on making excuses. Life in Trumpland is amazing!

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service