I am so happy to join you all on this wonderful site. :) I was born into a Catholic family, but stopped going to church when I was 16. I've been a non-theist for most of my life. I didn't give religion much thought over the years because it didn't really have a major impact on my life. When it came to my family, it was more or less a "go along to get along" thing.

Just a few years ago my niece met and married a "born-again Christian". She started trying to push her religious beliefs down my throat. I was having none of that shit! So, I looked around the internet and found a wealth of information and ammunition to fire back at her. She finally backed off....and she and her husband don't talk to me anymore. Whatever! They live in Louisiana, so it's not like I see them every day. Unfortunately, her "religion virus" spread to her father (my little brother). Now he's become overly pious and has revisited his Catholic roots. He doesn't want to talk to me either because I DARE to make fun of religion! LOL I told him he needs to grow up and get over it!!

Since then I have been more and more OUT as an Atheist. I've joined groups and have a whole bunch of podcasts that I listen to every week. My mom and dad seem to be "tolerating" my views okay, as do my older brother and 2 sisters....as well as my boyfriend. I try not to force my views on people around me, unless they try to push their crazy beliefs on me first. Of course, I can't help but share the humor and idiocy of religion, as there is so much out there to choose from. We can all use a good laugh now and then, right?

Well, my little introduction is turning into a novel, so I better stop for now. I hope to pop in here quite often, to make new friends and talk to rational people. :) Cheers!

Views: 22

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Welcome to A|N!, I too find that humor greatly assists me in dealing with the "faithfull". If you did not laugh at some of the stuff religious folks do and say you would go mad. Enjoy your time here and hope to read more from you soon. :)
Thank you.....and G'day. :) Yes I'm a major fan of famous irreverent comedians such as Bill Maher, Julia Sweeney and the late great George Carlin. Then again, there are the not quite as famous ones like Mr. Deity and I recently found some guys on Youtube, who just totally crack me up! You've probably heard of them, as they are from Australia. Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95hH1H5qK08
Thank you Sarah. I read your profile and I also love cats. I currently have 2. Cats are just about the coolest critters on the planet. :)
Woo! Nice story. Sad about your niece and her husband, I hate to see religion come between families. But keep up the fight for reason! Welcome to AN!
Thank you Kristi. I still love my niece. I blame her husband for "brainwashing" her. She was perfectly sane until she met him. She is just soooo gullible. Now they have a baby. They named him Noah. I feel so sorry for that kid. He'll grow up surrounded by delusional people. As for my little brother, I love him too. But, he also lives in Louisiana. I haven't had any contact with him since last January. He tried to pick a fight with me by making a snarky comment via email. I shot back with a little mild sarcasm of my own. Apparently, he can dish it out, but he can't take it. Because he just got soooo offended and said I was "alienating him". Funny, I was alienating HIM, but HE started the fight. LOL Then I made the mistake of trying to reason with him. Of course, we all know that trying to reason with a theist is like trying to nail jello to a tree. He didn't want to hear anything I had to say and proceeded to block my emails. Oh well. Perhaps someday he'll break free of the "god virus". I think he'll need to get out of Louisiana and away from his daughter to do that.
Kewl peacock! I like it!! :)
Welcome to the AN, Teri! I guess it's not a big loss if they put religion ahead of family! After all, doesn't their bible say "love god more than you love your own family"? Sure, it would be nice to just love your family regardless of their beliefs, but unfortunately it is not the case with your little brother and your niece...
I too find religious fundamentalists incredibly funny, but also they are dangerous, intolerant and aggressive, and that's why atheists need to speak out.
Thank you Mihai. I like to fight back at the Fundies by pointing out all their craziness to the mainstream theists. If we can show the moderate religionists how bad their wing-nut extremists are, they may be less likely to think that atheists are so bad. Along with that, show by example, that you can be a good person without believing in a god or gods. It might just get some to want to align themselves with the rational atheists rather than irrational Bible Thumpers. :)
Welcome Teri from another of the loud-and-proud.
Thank you, Michael. My older brother's name is Mike too. :)
Welcome to AN, Teri! Sorry about your family alienating you, but good for you for sticking to your guns. I'm a big fan of Mr. Deity, too!

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service