Regardless of the political leanings of Loughner, who is probably psychotic, virtually all of the commentators that incited him were of the right wing - the Palins, Paladinos, Cantors, Mitchells, Limbaughs,O'Reilly's, Bachmanns, Becks, Robertsons, Grahams etc etc.  It goes on and on and on. There is nothing comparable to this amount of irresponsible, lockstep and reckless inciting of violence on the left.

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't see any real elected liberal or progressives leaders among these.
Excellent example. There is no equivalent on the "left" of the right wing rhetoric and the orchestrated mob frenzy being used for corporate and personal enrichment at huge cost to the fools that get frenzied. 
• Obama: “They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun"…

** Obama to His Followers: “Get in Their Faces!"…
** Obama on ACORN Mobs: “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!"…
** Obama to His Mercenary Army: “Punch Back Twice As Hard"…
** Obama on the private sector: “We talk to these folks… so I know whose a** to kick.“…

** Obama to voters: Republican victory would mean “hand to hand combat"…

** Obama to Latino supporters: “Punish your enemies."…

** Obama to democrats: “I’m itching for a fight."…

"a Democratic Leadership Committee publication in 2004, [which] featured nine bullseyes over regions where Republican candidates were considered vulnerable that year, and was accompanied by a caption reading: TARGETING STRATEGY. A smaller caption, beneath the bullseyes, read: BEHIND ENEMY LINES. The map illustrated an article on campaign strategy by Will Marshall of the Progressive Policy Institute.

What about the endless protests surrounding George Bush? I recall "Kill Bush" t-shirts and "I'm here to kill Bush" signs for starters. Here are some more:…

They Bring a Knife...We Bring a Gun"

Punch Back Twice As Hard"

Sound like responses to threats of violence to me which further confirms my thinking that inflammatory rhetoric causes violence.

Adkisson's manifesto[12] also cited the inability to find a job, and that his food stamps were being cut. His manifesto stated that he intended to keep shooting until police arrived and expected to be killed by police.

Another mentally disturbed individual on a suicide mission.

You and the OP keep forgetting the key point: Those committing the violence made an active choice to do so. Rhetoric didn't pull the trigger.

Should we have outlawed liberal commentary after the Ford assassination attempt? Should we have blamed liberals for the Reagan assassination attempt? Absolutely not. These were acts committed by mentally deranged individuals. Just like this latest tragedy.

I don't have any views re the legal aspects of this.  I think we should be free to express our criticisms and views about the probable consequences of this sort of behavior.  I don't know of any violent rhetoric on the part of liberals against either Ford or Reagan.
What is with this all or nothing shit?  Are you suggesting that unless political rhetoric is violent then it is useless?

The Founders added the 2nd Amendment so that when, after a long train of abuses, a government evinces a methodical design upon our natural rights, we will have the means to protect and recover our rights. That is why the right to keep and bear arms was included in the Bill of Rights.

And when Bush was President, the "toxic" rhetoric was mostly on the left. If Bush did not have the Secret Service, don't you think someone on the left would have taken a shot at him?
Because Regan and Ford didn't have any Secret Service protection at all.

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service