Regardless of the political leanings of Loughner, who is probably psychotic, virtually all of the commentators that incited him were of the right wing - the Palins, Paladinos, Cantors, Mitchells, Limbaughs,O'Reilly's, Bachmanns, Becks, Robertsons, Grahams etc etc.  It goes on and on and on. There is nothing comparable to this amount of irresponsible, lockstep and reckless inciting of violence on the left.

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They didn't deter the attempts because the assailants were nuts. Just like this idiot in Arizona.

So you are saying that all the people on the left are sane?
So, words mean nothing?  Why speak at all then?

Catalino Lucas Diaz

Secret Service: Man Climbs White House Fence; Man With Package In C... (AP via NBC4)

Authorities said the man had a package that was later destroyed with a water cannon. The incident prompted a security lockdown in the area for more than three hours. Authorities said the package didn't contain any dangerous items. A Secret Service spokesman says a man identified as 66-year-old Catalino Lucas Diaz, possibly of Florida, is in custody pending charges. The man jumped the fence along the northeast side of the White House, closing the area along Pennsylvania Avenue and Lafayette Park from 11:10 a.m. to about 2:30 p.m.

posted by the Fence Watcher at 6:23 PM

Sunday, June 04, 2006

Roger Witmer

Roger Witmer, 44, of Washington, DC, attempted to jump the south side of the White House fence today, but was captured by Secret Service before he could make it. He did throw a plastic bag (possibly more than one) over the fence, however. What was in the bag is still unknown, but Secret Service confirms no explosives found.

Witmer is now in custody, facing charges of unlawful entry and disorderly conduct.

In the news: CNN, AP via WaPo.

posted by the Fence Watcher at 5:30 PM

Monday, April 10, 2006

Brian Patterson again

Brian Patterson, a previous offender who has jumped the White House fence before, did it again yesterday.

From WTOP News: Screaming Intruder Jumps White House Fence.

The bearded man, wearing blue jeans and a white T-shirt that said "God Bless America," jumped the fence outside the White House and ran across the north lawn while repeatedly yelling, "I am a victim of terrorism!"

Members of the Secret Service emergency response team, including one holding a barking dog, chased Patterson with their guns drawn and surrounded him near the row of cameras set up for television stand-ups.

"I have intelligence information for the president," he said, waving his arms in the air. "I'm not afraid of you," Patterson screamed at the officers who were ordering him to the ground with guns drawn.

Patterson eventually kneeled on the ground and was taken into custody shortly before 4 p.m.

posted by the Fence Watcher at 9:52 AM

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Package Thrown Over Fence

All-Clear Given After Package Found At White House.

The Secret Service said a man is in custody after allegedly throwing an object over a fence at the White House.

"This individual has a done a similar act in the past and he is in custody," Secret Service spokesman Tom Mazur said.

A bomb squad was called to the scene and deemed the package to be harmless.

The package was noted just after President George W. Bush left on his helicopter from the South Lawn -- on the other side of the White House -- for a trip to Wheeling, W.Va. Reporters, cameramen and photographers were told to remain inside the briefing room while officers investigated

posted by the Fence Watcher at 1:35 PM

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Shawn A. Cox

AP via Washington Post: "A man from Arkansas scaled the fence surrounding the White House Sunday while President Bush was inside and was immediately captured by Secret Service officers.

"Secret Service spokesman Jonathan Cherry identified the jumper as Shawn A. Cox. Cherry said Cox was being charged with unlawful entry and was expected to appear Monday in U.S. District Court.

Cox has previously come to the attention of the Secret Service, Cherry said, but he would not provide details."

Do you believe these people were harmless? Do you know for a fact that their intention was harmless? Does the name William Ayers ring a bell?

Jim David Adkisson, the poster boy of those who perceive danger in conservative media. He had books by Hannity and O'Reilly in his home (he probably had some dangerous cookbooks, too). Conservative authors top the bestseller lists repeatedly. Rightie talkers lead the ratings. They all reach multi-millions of people across the country daily. I'm no statistician, but that would make Adkisson one consumer in untold millions.

If conservative media was so dangerous, then reason says we should see thousands of Adkissons on the loose. Yet, curiously, we don't.

One nut, in a vaaaaaaasaaaaasssssssst sea of people, who decided to perpetrate murder. You're hanging your hat on that?

Obviously we aren't gonna agree. It's just a pissin' match.

How much more evidence do you need that when a large group of leading conservatives condones elimination of their political adversaries that makes it much more likely that people will act on it.  Do we have to wait for the grissly consequences as they did in Germany, Italy and Japan in the 1920-30s or do we strongly condemn it now?
I saw quite a few guns brought by right-wingers at the Tea Party rallies and at congressional functions but did not see any by brought by liberals or progressives.
Why would reason say that?
I still can't believe a lot of you are asserting that right wing rhetoric directly incited Loughner.  The guy was just a nut case out of millions and millions of people.  He had prior contact with Giffords back to 2007.  He is no different then someone who would have shot up a school.  I'd also like to remind you that he was restrained by a person who had their concealed weapons permit and had a firearm on him and was prepared to use it.  He even went out of his way to exit the store he was in and come to the scene and assist the people who had started to restrain Loughner.  YOU are responsible for your safety and the safety of your fellow citizens, not the state. 
Who is saying there is a direct link?   Even if there isn't.  Should we wait until there is a direct link before we tell our politicians and political pundits to knock it off.  As for each individual being responsible for there own safety.  I would rather feel like I can walk down the street and not have to get in a fight to live my everyday life.  Besides, it sounds like Giffords was good with a gun.  Lot of good that did her.  As for him meeting her in 2007,  Who the hell has said that violent rhetoric is a new phenomenon.  I am starting to think that people on the right don't want to claim him so are invoking the "no true scotsman" fallacy.

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service