Sometimes people say things that are so dumb that you just need to share. What is the craziest, most ignorant, awful, etc. thing you have ever heard a theist or deist or anyone else say regarding religion?

I'll share first. Today I was talking with a Christian on Experience Project. They were asking me what I believed and whatnot, as Christians tend to do when they discover I am an atheist. I told her I believed the Bible was not true, and was demonstrably false. She asked for an example, so I started with the obvious: Genesis says the Earth is older than the sun, and every other celestial body in the universe. This is obviously false. Her response, "Well I won't argue with you but I believe that whatever the Bible says is true."

I thought maybe she was mistaken about what the Bible said, so to clarify I asked, "So you actually believe that the Earth, plant life, and the atmosphere are all older than the sun and all the other stars?"

Her response, "If the Bible says so then yes." 

At that point I just said okay and stopped the conversation. There is nothing that can be said to that level of irrational thinking. 

Views: 1079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

One classic ignorant comment on Christianity came from my stepfather one time. I had asked why Jesus stayed on the cross if he was nailed with just one nail in the center of each hand. What held all of his weight? His hands would simply pull off the nails. His body would fall down then and he would only be held by his feet. The answer was given to me that he stayed nailed to the cross because he was meant to stay nailed to the cross.

You would have thought the Romans would have suspected something here. LOL  Of course, those were the days when fundamentalists still did not go with the 15 or more ideas of how a person could be nailed up. Scripture was literal.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service