After reading Jared Lardo's discussion I thought I would begin one with the opposite premise, movies and tv shows that were ruined by story lines relating to belief in god, or the supernatural. Or predestination - I do not believe in fate, destiny, grand plan, or any of that crap.

Note, if I know going in, that it's about the supernatural I don't have a problem with it like with Lost.

** Potential Spoiler alert for Battlestar Galactica and I Am Legend ** >>

An example is the recent TV show Battlestar Galactica, which I got hooked on. Then they completely ruined the entire series with finale where everything was god's plan.

The movie I am Legend with Will Smith. Basic message I got: Science caused the problem, god will save. Yes I know Will Smith's character Neville, discovered the cure but that would have been useless if god hadn't sent Anna to meet him and escape to the colony.

I recently watched the first episode of Flash Forward. I got a bad feeling about this one. Whether it's "god is punishing us" or future is set and can't be changed BS.

Views: 145

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Turn Back! Here Be Spoilers.

Battlestar Galactica... I know! That ending was so anti-climactic, in sharp contrast to how good the series had been.

One teevee series I liked for a while was Stargate. It cracked me up that the big bads, who had styled themselves as supreme beings, kept being exposed as parasites with an attitude problem.

A movie that wasn't necessarily ruined, but I found to be interpreted differently by believers and non-believers was Pan's Labyrinth. I and my atheist friend felt the main character died at the end. Believers felt she had disappeared into a fairy land.
I saw an episode of House where a girl was praying to get better, and House said something similar to this > "Well, he's the one who gave it to you in the first place".
Awesome!
I have to admit to rather liking Touched by an Angel. At least the 'God' in that actually sent people/angels out to do some good - and there was no 'hell', just a rather dishy angel of death.
I never watched it.
Thanks for posting that, I'd never seen it before. :)
I love Steve Martin's Leap of Faith (based on James Randi's expose of Peter Popoff - but the whole thing was completely compromised at the end by putting in what appeared to be a real miracle. Still a good movie, but a pity it had to be sold out.
Was the miracle attributed in any way to Popoff?
No, Popoff's name wasn't mentioned. The screenplay was a rip-off of Randi's book on Popoff, but Randi was never paid a cent.
But was their a 'Poop-off' character?
Busy week, so I'm late to this threa... (un)Holy crap! Only a day old and this much response? Guess you hit a nerve Louis!

I will avoid a show or movie like the plague if its central theme is to preach the good word to me. But if it simply and realistically involves religious characters, I have little problem with it. And supernatural in general - I am an absolute scifi nerd.

Add to that I do find credibility in Unified Field and quantum physics - the interconnectedness of everything. So an out-and-out fate/destiny where our futures are pre-determined; bullshit. But a general flow/current where some things are 'meant to be' to whatever small degree? Absolutely. All people and animals and plants and objects are ultimately made of the same electrically charged 'stuff.' So it's not hard for me to believe that two people can have a connection or one person can get a funny vibe off another.

Translating that into entertainment, I absolutely love taking that idea to a sci-fi/fantasy extreme like wizards and witches and half-gods and demons.

- I love themes around ancient religions or higher-consciousness themed religions like Buddhism or Hindu. Especially when the scientific/psychological explanations behind some of it are uncovered or at least alluded to. Having lost a lot of our aboriginal connection to the Earth I do like it when the Shaman is able to charm the snake, or the Medicine Man accurately predicts, "This path is bad news for you dude."

- I loved "Slumdog Millionaire" which took the idea of fate and interconnectedness to a bit of an extreme but in a fun way that didn't preach at us.

- I'm only on season 3 of "Lost," but so far it's made more of a mockery of religion than anything. The way everyone's lives and stories are interwoven is great fun and I'm dying to know what the black-smoke monster thing is.

If they suddenly conclude in effect "Jesus did it all - praise Jesus" it would absolutely ruin "Lost" for me. But if it stands at some mysterious quantum physics thing, or the DI people are empathic or something, that doesn't bother me.

RSS

© 2015   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service