My boss releases his inner dumb-ass over Penn State sex scandal

So, a bunch of us were in the shop talking about football (of course) and the unfolding sexual abuse scandal at Penn State University. The situation apparently involves a long time assistant coach sexually abusing PRE-TEEN members of his youth football camp organization, in university facilities. Disgusting no matter how you look at it. It seems that the university failed to properly throw this sick individual (their friend) under the bus, for years. Now heads are rolling, as they should be. 

All of us in the shop are agreeing that the right stuff is happening when our 'lead man' (or mustachioed neanderthal whose only skill is bitching about how hard he works, and drinking tequila every night) chimes in with this gem:

"Penn State, oh yeah. They was the first ones that started lettin' them gays live in the dorms together!" I actually said "What the hell does that have to do with anything?" He's like "Well that's how all them kind of bad thangs gets started." I say "They're not related." He says "Well, in my book, it's all the same. They're all doin' wrong and that's how it started!"   I said "Being an adult homosexual or sexually abusing a ten year old are NOT the same. Not the same ball park, not even the same fucking universe!"  Then our little party broke up. 

Hope I still got a job. They already think I'm a communist. Funny, Because I'm the only veteran in there.

Views: 639

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You stood up for reason and right-thinking.  Be careful.  I got hounded out of my last workplace, but not because of my politics.  I was the only veteran there, but that wasnt why either.

Your boss is not the only dumb-ass over this scandel. It's the country as a whole, to let this explode into a media frenzie.

To let all the religous leaders sweep there "little secrets" under rugs without a peep from our wonderful media, disgust me more!

When we can, we should tie this Penn St. issue with the catholic and other religous abuses.

Maybe, I say maybe, people might tie them together and see, there is no diffrence who commits this abusive crime.

Thanks for the graphic Sentient - that is so true!

I think your boss's remark is very interesting.  If he truly believes homosexuality is immoral, what he's saying kind of makes sense.  At what age it's acceptable for children to have sex and how much age discrepancy is allowed are cultural values, just like whether homosexuality is acceptable is a cultural value.  (Even in the U.S., the age of consent has historically been as low as 7.)  In this respect, homosexual and adult-child sex are equal, and I can see how he might see them that way.

Having said that, his reaction would appear to assume the sex was consensual, but I didn't see anything indicating one way or the other about consent, although I admittedly haven't heard that much about this (and most people wouldn't ask such a question anyway and would pretend it doesn't matter or just assume the worst).  The other possibility is that your boss completely disregards whether the sex is consensual or not when other morals of his are violated, in which case the participants basically lose all humanity in his eyes, which is (IMO) shameful.  There is a huge difference between consensual sex and non-consensual rape, and a reasonable judgment should take this into consideration.

So basically, instead of your boss being such an idiot that he can't see the difference between adult homosexual and adult-child sex, maybe we just haven't taken religious conservatives seriously when they claim to believe homosexuality is immoral.  To them, if you're having gay sex, you might as well be raping your partner or having sex with a child (or murdering?  or using "the lord's" name in vain?).

If I were in that situation it I probably would have reacted the same exact way. The logic of your boss and others I have encountered it mind boggling. It's like there on line between homosexuality and pedophilia. Which obviously is insane and aren't close to the same thing. so well played

Eric that was very brave of you to stick up to the boss. I've done that before and it didn't end too well.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service