Don’t Call It Appeasement

Lilli Loofbourow at Slate argues that Trump isn't appeasing Putin.

… Trump has been told—by the very men he hired—that the United States has been and is currently under cyberattack by Russia. And his response was to praise Putin, defend his denials, and blame the United States for poor relations between the two countries. That is not appeasement toward another country; it is aggression against your own.

Calling Trump’s behavior appeasement … pre-emptively grants that Trump is trying to help his country rather than himself, even though those two interests are to his mind plainly opposed. Trump has made his loyalties clear, and they are not to the country he governs.

Trump has made no secret of the fact that he operates according to naked self-interest—…

Russia’s “election meddling” was done to help elect Trump. Trump benefited enormously from those efforts, and he is not in the habit of condemning those who personally benefit him until they stop. Putin … hasn’t stopped.

… Trump … is willingly and actively trading against his country, as its president. This is … unprecedented.

image source

Views: 164

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Chris Cillizza points out that threatening Iran and stripping critics of their national security clearance are Trump moves to distract us from his Russia treason behavior. <ach!> US media are such fools! Let us not be so easily tricked at AN.

Donald Trump's Russia distraction game reaches new heights

If you don't like a story or narrative out there about yourself, give the media something else to chew on -- something that works better for you.

It's the Shiny Object Strategy. The media, like a cat, is often easily distracted.

Since last Monday's summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Helsinki, Trump has been crushed with negative headlines about his statements in that meeting.

But there is danger for the country when the President is willing to float the idea of a war with Iran or the creation of an enemies list in order to keep us from talking about his odd behavior with the Russians and the ongoing special counsel investigation into Russia's attempts to interfere in the 2016 election.

Why danger? Because Iran, judging from their initial reaction, doesn't take Trump's threat lightly -- or see it solely as a way to change the subject domestically from Russia. And because suggesting that people who disagree with you but have done nothing else wrong should be punished solely because they are willing to speak out about their issues with your decisions sends a chilling message to the country (and the world) about how the world's greatest democracy handles dissent. [emphasis mine]

I can see this fully and I agree with Chris Cillizza. Trump is full of lying and quick distractions. He hops all about and makes me wish he would shut up.

Seeing another article tonight that Ivanka is pulling her online brand. What is wrong with media? Some countries are pulling her line of stuff and not wanting to sell it in their stores. This is a far cry from Ivanka doing the pulling. I can only assume she is taking it down now to look less embarrassed later.
Trump is full of lying and quick distractions.

Indeed, Kevin Drum suggests that Occam's Razor can be supplemented by "Trump’s Razor: everything Trump says is a lie until proven otherwise."

So: Trump didn’t pay the Russians to hack the DNC server and he wasn’t physically present at the Trump Tower meeting.

As far as I know, no one has ever accused him of either of these things, but now that he’s denied them I suppose my working assumption is that he did pay for the hacks and he was at the Trump Tower meeting. This is partly based on the fact that Rudy must have brought this up for some reason—presumably to get ahead of an accusation coming shortly?—but mainly it’s based on Trump’s Razor: everything Trump says is a lie until proven otherwise. I’ve rarely gone wrong applying Trump’s Razor to the various burblings that come out of the mouths of both Trump and his spokespeople, and I doubt it will steer me wrong this time.

"Maybe Trump Paid the Russians to Hack the DNC Server?"

https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2018/07/maybe-trump-paid-the...

Trump’s Razor! A most interesting concept, Cat.

With Occam’s Razor, people shave unnecessary words from an assertion.

With Trump’s Guillotine, people let a blade fall on an assertion unless evidence is presented.

I can see this fully and I agree with Chris Cillizza. Trump is full of lying and quick distractions. He hops all about and makes me wish he would shut up.

Seeing another article tonight that Ivanka is pulling her online brand. What is wrong with media? Some countries are pulling her line of stuff and not wanting to sell it in their stores. This is a far cry from Ivanka doing the pulling. I can only assume she is taking it down now to look less embarrassed later.
Something wrong here. I am not allowed to delete one of my double posts. Looks like I am stuck with posting it twice.

Michael, when I write a post and tap on “Add Reply”, I sometimes see no response and tap again. That appears to result in a double post.

When I enter Nexus through an email from Nexus (instead of by tapping an icon), the software signs me in and I see asterisks in the upper right hand corners of my posts. When I tap an asterisk a Delete Post box appears. Most of the time. :)

When I enter Nexus by tapping or selecting an icon, the software marks me as a guest and does not let me delete anything.

I've also occasionally had "Add Reply" sit there, apparently doing nothing, yet when I check from another window or tab, it posted what I wrote.

If Nexus is seeing you as a guest, you should be able to log in to your account, and after that, it should remember.

OH! I have that problem, too, Michael! When I go back to check my posts and am confronted with double and triple posts, I get rid of the excess as fast as I can. I do not, however, have trouble when I do so.

I see two of your posts starting with "I can see this fully" and ending with your comment about Ivanka. 

Ok, Trump and his kind are without conscience.

Can we, without creating gods, bring them to heel?

In the eighteen states with the direct initiative, people can do it and are doing it.

I’ve seen in recent news that people in two more states are working to put the direct initiative into their constitutions.

(Instead of 18 states you may see reports of 26. Eight of those states have a less-than-direct initiative and their legislators can nullify attempts to bring them to heel.)

@Tom - You seem to have magical beliefs about ballot measures; I'm not sure what makes you think they're any less corruptible than candidate campaigns.

Bert, I agree that measures placed on the ballot by legislatures require scrutiny.

If you believe measures placed on the ballot by direct initiative are as corruptible or more so than candidate campaigns, please provide some evidence.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service