Neil DeGrasse Tyson on Why "Cosmos" Will NOT be Accompanied by Creationist Explanation for...well...the Cosmos

Neil deGrasse Tyson came out swinging when evangelical types complained that the TV show, Cosmos, which presents the evolution-based theory of how the universe came into being, ought have a few scenes explaining "an alternative theory," creationism. DeGrasse had a brilliant retort: “You don’t talk about the spherical Earth with NASA, and then say let’s give equal time to the flat Earthers." 

Views: 1656

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

@James, force of habit is doubtful for me. Even when I claimed religion l disliked the terms they used. Especially calling other church members Brother Smith or Sister Jones. And the over the top praying. Don't even get me started on the 'foot washings' that only the men were allowed to attend. Thank whoevers god l want.
I was a doubter from early childhood.

Foot washing never made any sense to me, and neither did that "brother and sister" crap. Where did they get this and where were they told to do this? Where did the buybull say "now you are all brother and sister?" Maybe it's a throwback to everyone being one family.

In my early church days I saw engraved in the back of church pews the words "do this in remberence of me." That would tend to make kids want to carve on the backs of church pews.

One of the silliest stories in the NT is the one where a woman washes Jeebus' dirty feet, and then dries them with her hair.  Hair does NOT absorb water.  Didn't she have a shawl, or something?  Like a hair dryer?

Makes you wonder what those drivel-writers were thinking of, and what world they lived in.

Romans of that era had their servants wash guests' feet before they reclined for dinner, but they were then given warm sockies to wear during dinner.  MUCH more practical.

Felaine, I didn't know that hair does not absorb water, but drying jebus' feet with her hair always seemed overboard to me.  Like she was a super worshiper and brown-noser.  It seemed very impractical unless she had extremely long hair. 

She had magic hair.

Made/Maid of Cotton, perhaps?

I didn't care for the brother/sister labels either.  I don't think I ever used them.  Even after quitting the church and having my name taken off their records, I had a couple of people call me brother.  Weird.

Have you ever told him about your reaction? I wonder if he knows? Surely he would like to receive feedback. 

That's because of his religious background, Patricia. Just Google Richard Haynes and read all about it.

I have to admit, I paused at that, too.

JWs call each other "brother and sister," too.  My real sister has been one of that cult for about 45 years...I think it's icky.

Memes alive, Spud! The father stuff makes you dependent, the mother, alike (but for different things). Conveying a familial relationship invites the priest into the door just as a weakened immune system welcomes in the flu. And don't think your confession to a brother stays in Vegas, either. The confession booth is a kind of archaic E-Meter.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service