What this means is that the theist filling out a profile should stop and discard what they've started.  Atheist Nexus is a site exclusively for non-theists.  What that means is that theists should not join.

As is written on the homepage of Atheist Nexus: " The World's Largest Social Networking Site Exclusively For Nontheists!"

There are plenty of other sites to engage non-theists.  Atheist Nexus is not one of them.

Views: 238

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Oops, looks like I have been breaking the rules here. Sorry Flying Spaghetti Monster!
Ramen
Yeah, I'm in agreement with many here, the wording might be troublesome for the religious to follow.

Perhaps the agreement should be something like :

AGREEMENT

I honestly, whole heartedly denounce the existence of any God/deity. [ENTER]

I don't want to be eternally damned for agreeing there's no God/deity. [LEAVE]
Most excellent wording. I will bring this to Bro. Richard's attention.
Of course it can be modified to make sure the "leave" option doesn't offend any weary new atheists.
While I don't fall into this exclusion category, and I disagree with all of those you mention, I however must protest against your views of membership.

This is a site for non-theists. Not anti-superstitious, anti-paranormal, etc.

It's name is Atheist nexus. Not "we must denounce anything that isn't already proven" nexus.
We denounce the existence of gods/deities. This is all we claim.

While you may not agree with them, like it or lump it, they're atheist like yourself. And you can't personally re-write the definition of Atheist to mean they all have to view the world like you do.

Feel free to form a group regarding your views, by all means.
But exclusionary measures will only further divide what is already a divided group, who desperately needs to stand together.
To iterate on this further, the worlds religions make this mistake constantly.

They for some reason or another go beyond their unifying belief in god and determine that everyone must agree 100% on what their more minor points of belief should be.

In terms of Christians, we saw this in the divide between Catholics and Protestants. A simple matter of divorce managed to divide and destroy many of their numbers. We can't fall into this petty desire for self victory. And it IS petty.

Fundamentalists of EVERY religion fall into this trap. This belief that the way they view things must be enforced on everyone else.

So what if the guy next to you doesn't see the world the way you do. You have to overcome this. There are many Atheists who don't see the world the way I do. I accept this. I'm just glad that others can unify with me on the understanding that a blind belief in god isn't for us.
You have completely misunderstood my point.

I do not view the supernatural as an acceptable philosophy.

What I argue is that THIS SITE is not about judging them, but denouncing one particular part of it, and that is the notion of god itself.

You probably read into my post with little time on your hands. This is excusable, we all do it, as society leaves us with little time for anything nowadays.

I do NOT agree with the spiritualists, etc. What I am however stating is that we have too few in our ranks to exclude those who are on the fence by becoming some form of exclusionary fascist group.

If you wish to make enemies of anyone who you might read in passing as being possibly against your views, you're not doing the rest of us any favors.
We're on your side. Like it or lump it.

One thing I stand for is reason... but another is anti-fascism, and declaring to them (whether we agree with them or not) what they can or can not believe outside of the initial rational statements would only be serving segregation...

... what rational hold to the world could we possibly have if we wind up squabbling about who believes in what form of decomposition?!

(In basic terms, I don't believe in the supernatural, but I'm never going to deny someone the ability to find interest in it.)

If you hold issue with that, you have contemplations way beyond Atheism to come to terms with.
I have never found one, maybe we are just lucky... so far.
Luck has nothing to do with it, but statistical probability does. Either moderators nipping their membership in the bud, or members alerting moderators that they're here.
Ok, let me rephrase (although I do agree)... "maybe statistical probability has been to our advantage... so far". Nah, I'll just stick with "lucky".
Heh.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service