Check out AOC's video on our broken government.

Viral video of Ocasio-Cortez explaining ‘fundamentally broken’ US d...

In a critique of campaign finance laws that has now gone viral, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) this week showed how the United States has “a system that is fundamentally broken” due to the pervasive influence of corporate money that infects every aspect of the nation’s democracy.

With her creative attack, said Common Cause, the freshman lawmaker “exposes just how much ‘bad guys’ can get away with under the shameful state of our campaign finance laws.”

...  policy advisor Dan Riffle said, “This was all her. She did this on the fly. She is very good at this, folks.” [emphasis mine]

Color me impressed.

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow ... don't you just LOVE it when someone just cuts through the fog and shows of the problem in the light of day?  Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is one VERY SHARP lady, one whom I suspect I'll appreciate more and more as time goes on.

The following clip is considerably longer than the one you posted, Ruth, but I think it gives a further view into her ideals and thinking processes:

Ken Olin also said it well:“No wonder the right is terrified of her. It’s not her politics, it’s her intelligence. She’s fierce, she’s focused, she’s real, and she’s got lots of time to rock their world.”

Add that to the fact that she has NO FEAR WHATSOEVER of speaking her mind (witness her questions to that panel in Ruth's video), and what you have is a woman who will tear mercilessly through the bullshit and get to the core of things.

To which I say, ABOUT DAMNED TIME!

As my favorite commentator Charlie Pierce put it a few weeks back, she's making all the right people crazy.

GOOD.  They need to be made crazy ... and to recognize that, in the long term, they're pissing into the wind!

A.O.C. is brilliant.
It is a pity that millennials like A.O.C. cannot run for president.

Why wouldn't a millennial be unable to run for president?

Most millennials wouldn't meet the Constitutional age requirement of being at least 35 when they take office.

Yet some 20 year old students and workers are more intelligent and capable than many 35 year old conservative politicians. 

I think below 20 might be a mistake, but I think a 20+ year old with the right creds and policies should be capable of running for president. 

AOC certainly has the intelligence and policies. 

Agreed!

For amending the Constitution, though, it's arguably more urgent to undo the damage caused by Citizens United, and to enshrine the principles that corporations are not people, money is not speech, and "all citizens, regardless of their economic status," should have access to the political process.

Move to Amend's proposed amendment:

Section 1. [Artificial Entities Such as Corporations Do Not Have Constitutional Rights]

The rights protected by the Constitution of the United States are the rights of natural persons only.

Artificial entities established by the laws of any State, the United States, or any foreign state shall have no rights under this Constitution and are subject to regulation by the People, through Federal, State, or local law.

The privileges of artificial entities shall be determined by the People, through Federal, State, or local law, and shall not be construed to be inherent or inalienable.

Section 2. [Money is Not Free Speech]

Federal, State, and local government shall regulate, limit, or prohibit contributions and expenditures, including a candidate's own contributions and expenditures, to ensure that all citizens, regardless of their economic status, have access to the political process, and that no person gains, as a result of their money, substantially more access or ability to influence in any way the election of any candidate for public office or any ballot measure.

Federal, State, and local government shall require that any permissible contributions and expenditures be publicly disclosed.

The judiciary shall not construe the spending of money to influence elections to be speech under the First Amendment.

(Don't know if it's been reintroduced in the new Congress.)

Grinning Cat for President of the U.S.A. ;-)~

I like those amendments. 

Ach! Of course. I thought he meant ever, rather than 2020.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service