In the bible there are multiple prophecies that get fulfilled (such as book of isaiah predicting Cyrus or Jesus predicting the destruction of jerusalem and its temple) occam's razor states that the simplest explanation is the most likely to be correct, the simplest explanation for these fulfilled prophecies is that the bible is most likely the word of god, so isn't it most likely that the bible is the word of God

Views: 106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ummm ... how about NO:

And while I'm at it, if you're NOT a non-theist, you can either leave now voluntarily, or find yourself kicked out.  Trying to claim prophecy as proof of the bible is weak tea, bud.

Big fat hairy deal...Jerusalem and its temple...

Everything that humans create is ultimately destroyed. A divine intelligence that can not do better than that ought to be jettisoned like a bad habit. How about telling us something specific that any half-wit can not predict...defenestration at Prague..Iran Contra..gay rights...communist revolution etc..

Were there a benevolent divine intelligence it would one has to surmise end the polarization and division brought on by religious differences...not to mention the promotion of depraved morality and the endless harm it causes.Using prophecies to fulfill one's wishes is tantamount to childlike behavior and intellectual laziness. 

Shall we also mention that an omniscient being already knows EVERYTHING that's going to happen ... which obviates free will as a side-effect?!?  Oh, and as far as "Jerusalem and its temple" is concerned, the Western Wall still stands.  Biblical prophecy is laughable at best.

Why does no one ever figure out the meaning of prophesy until after the fact? What good are cryptic prophesies? If you know what's going to happen, say so. 

The bible is most likely the word of male Homo sapiens, so isn't it most likely that the bible is the word of man?

God put a real winner in charge of Jerusalem. How do you envoke Occams Razor on any bible story? A book written by a magical bearded man delivered to one of the most violent peoples for the purpose of cleansing. Meanwhile the book was thrice stolen from other religions. That's the absolute complete opposite of occams razor. Its late so maybe I read your comment wrong? Ill check again gomorrow.

Exactly why would the simplest explanation be that the bible is the word of god? I do not understand that. It would be like finding some literary piece and trying to ascribe it to Shakespeare when there was no evidence to do so. 

The bible does its best to fulfill a prophecy by stating many things that simply are not true. People of that time had no fact checking processes as we have today and many of them could not even read. Yet, people want us to believe this nonsense.

You are misapplying Occam's razor by including the supernatural. Even if OT prophecies were "fulfilled" in the NT, a much more plausible--and elegant--explanation is simply that the writers of the NT were familiar with the OT, probably through the Septuagint, and so could write fiction claiming that prophesies had been fulfilled. Matthew is probably the worst offender; he frequently states that Jesus did this or that to fulfill a particular prophesy, but these examples are merely claims made by a believer, not facts. So which is more likely? Religious zealot making false claims for their faith, or an omnipotent creator god (with a really bad temper) creating the universe in six days, peopleing it with angels, demons, and humans, then sending his only son to an obscure Middle Eastern backwater to fulfill prophesies? Occam's razor doesn't prove God; it excludes God.   

The simplest explanation is that the bible is most likely just stories. Let me ask you if you believe that a man was brought back to life because he came in contact with Elisha's bones? How about Lazurus being raised from the dead? If you believe these things to be normal everyday stories from some real events I feel sorry for you. These stories are just the tip of the iceberg. I can go on and on with others that are all coming out of the big book that was made up of other smaller books that were never meant to be bound together as one book. For example, the big book only appears to have a beginning and an end because that is how it was put together. 

Extraordinary claims STILL require extraordinary evidence, and as regards the bible, There Is No Evidence, nor do I ever expect that there will be.  There will be a lot of claims made and a whole lot of word salad and fancy dancing by those who want to insist on their god and their holy book.

But substantiation?  Don't kid yourself.

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service