my mom just emailed me, she told me that she and dad were watching a video of
some 8yo girl singing and told me her name so I could look her up and watch too.
I looked her up, her home page describes her as a gospel singer, so I wrote back
'no thanks, I hate gospel music :)'
I really dread the questions that may follow.

Here come the anxiety symptoms, LOL.

Views: 148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In with the good air, and out with the bad.
Good luck. I've told my mom I'm atheist at various points in my life and I don't think she's ever really believed it. But now I'm pretty active with the local atheist group and I think mom is starting to get more and more hints that it's true. I'm being tagged in various Facebook photos at various atheist events so it's getting pretty clear to mom that it's for real.

I don't think it's right that we're embarrassed for what we are. We shouldn't have to be in the closet like this.
I'm not one to give good advise to someone in your circumstances as my mom and I have always basically felt the same about religion. I'm new here and I have been seeing a lot of posts about the dilemma of telling people in our lives about our views on if there is a God or not.

I'f I'm pressed I just usually say something like "well I don't know if there is a God or not but I pray just in case". I try to avoid the subject altogether if I can.

But I'm beginning to think about the price we pay for not being more open with the people in our lives. I've never really thought a lot about it before. I am far from coming to a conclusion.

I wonder how I will fell about it in the future? I'm still evolving.

I love this website and am so exciteda about finding it.
You said "And it's really absurd how they can spew Jesus all over me and they don't think THAT is rude, but if I were to say 'actually, i don't believe god/jesus/etc.' they'd FREAK and say that I was being rude

I know! Gets my goat! I get so sick of it. I get tired of always being so very gracious about it. Sometimes, secretly, I'd like to just once blurt out a great big teenage WHATEVER, though I am 49 years old lol!

."
My mom is the same way with me. I am still sort of in the closet on FB.
To me, atheism seems like the logical conclusion. Those believing so fully in something they don't even have a clue about seems ridiculous, and I easily let them know that. This includes my mother, who eventually agreed with me. As far as I am concerned, the church is a cult with twisted views of reality, and the beliefs are sometimes deranged. Ever hear them defend their god over what he had done to Job? His family was killed, everything he had gone, but it's okay because he got a new family. Yeah... then serial killers are just doing god's work.
Children singing gospel music is some of the worst music ever created. She probably thinks you just hate gospel or that particular singer. A lot of xtains don't like gospel. I never did when I was one. You may have to be more direct with your hints. Good luck whatever you decide to do!
I read your last post Gin. I'm just shaking my head because I know it is an incredibly difficult situation.

Maybe she equates your possibly not believing with you will go to hell and burn forever and that hurts her a lot. Maybe she finds it hard to comprehend that something so terrible as that could happen to you and it brings a conflict for her to continue believing in her faith which can be extremely emotionally distressing. I am speculating here.

But is that reason enough to keep hiding your point of view? This is a dilemma I have been struggling with and is why I am interested in threads such as yours.

I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other because I really don't know the answer right now.
I understand about drama. My family is filled to the gills with drama queens. And it doesn't take much to set them off. One of the things I love about atheism is the sheer lack of excitement. I have a family member causing so much drama in my life, I spent an evening looking at masking tape samples, because they were the most boring thing I could think of. I don't blame you for wanting to avoid dramatics.
That's pretty funny Grace (looking at masking tape samples). It is funny the things we do to sooth ourselves sometimes. Hey, but whatever works is what I say lol.

Gen, it seems to me you have reached a point of such frustration with this situation that you have obtained the confidence to make a decision.

I would do the same thing.
http://www.google.com/images?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=mas...

Feel the calmness of the masking tape. No one ever mentions god and masking tape in the same sentence. Masking tape has no gods or masters. Masking tape is so useful and yet so reassuringly boring, not to mention, so moderately priced anyone can afford it.

I prefer the plain brown masking tape. I tried scotch tape, but found it too exciting for serious removing the mind from family drama.
LOL! I'm on it. Be right back (gotta make a trip to Home Depot).

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service