The Rossmoor Atheist Club today erected their annual freethought display (see attached) on Rossmoor Parkway as part of our winter  solstice celebrations. The atheist movement is based on a scientific worldview and celebrates its scientific heritage on the solstice, one of the major astronomical events elucidated by the sciences of astronomy and physics that arose in the Age of Enlightenment. It also symbolically represents the return of light and warmth to supplant winter's darkness and cold. Most students of nature see the crowning achievement and beauty of  science as its unification of  all objective knowledge. This is known as Consilience and is the view that all complex phenomenon are reducible to simpler principles, the studies of which enable us to understand how our universe works. The present display, represents Consilience as an expanding web of knowledge into the unknown in which the nodes represent the individual fields of science so far elucidated.

Views: 393

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You will notice in the background a catholic creche which the faithful erect in the communal space of our community each year. They claim they have always erected it in this spot and are now entitled to do so "by tradition" and are accusing us of blocking the view to it and "being in their face" despite the fact that we put up ours before theirs and that ours is a lot smaller and some 50 yards away from theirs.

Not only does this Church want to be able to tell us all where we can and cannot place our displays on communal property but also to have the right to forbid any displays that jut into a "line of sight" of theirs even though ours was erected before theirs and is more than 50 yards away from their site not to mention it is far smaller (4'x5').

This Church is thus abusing religious freedom and attempting to force its religious views on everyone and restrict our secular rights and freedoms because they "conflict" with its  dogma. This is why religion is and has been a chief contributor to hostility and conflict in our society.

I agree! 

"This Church is thus abusing religious freedom and attempting to force its religious views on everyone and restrict our secular rights and freedoms because they "conflict" with its dogma. This is why religion is and has been a chief contributor to hostility and conflict in our society."

~ eric stone

Also, the privileges it is assuming - like being the dominant or only display with privileges in the communal space- are the bases of theocracy.  And I think that whenever they criticize us for blocking theirs with ours, we should tell them that they are assuming they have theocratic rights and trying to impose their theocratic rules on us.

They fear the word "theocracy" because it exactly describes their agenda.

Hey, this space stuff is like a flea market and we are complaining because we have had this space a long time. Your space blocks people from seeing our space.

It's kinda like that but you add religion.

You are correct about religions. For whatever reason they find us (atheists) offensive. I read an article recently about the religious destroying signs put up by humanists. Oddly enough we aren't guilty of destroying the crap religions put out.

What's wrong with that picture?

I'd like to see that article for more evidence we can present to or at t them!

Eric, I'll check my history and see if I can find it.
Patheos, Friendly Atheists and American Atheists, all have articles pertaining to freethinkers signs that have been destroyed but I couldn't find the one article l was looking for.

thanks for looking anyway!

Yes! I have never heard any report of atheists destroying religious displays or for that matter ever sending any hate mail to their leaders or institutions.  We atheists get a continuous stream of the most sick disgusting hate mail day in and day out!  Too bad we can't publicize all of these points where most Americans will see them.

Typical, Christ's so called birthday was made to coincide with the solstice because of the popularity of the festival. The vernal equinox suffered a similar usurpation along with all the other pagan festivals. You should remind them that you have bullet proof evidence for the solstice, which is, as usual in the case of religious events, something their always at a loss for.

Do you mean bullet proof evidence that they usurped the solstice?  Sounds like a very nice argument to throw at the 19th centurians, as I've started to call them.  Just curious, how would you deal with a "is just a coincidence" excuse?

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service