http://www.salon.com/2013/06/29/god_is_a_delusion_i_was_a_pentacost...

i know he doesn't participate much (ever?) here, but he's a member and this is a powerful piece.  proud of you, Jerry.  

on a side note, i met a girl last night who said she was "spiritual but not religious".  after additional pressing, it turns out that she isn't spiritual at all.  she had no reason to believe in any kind of deity, but just really didn't want to consider herself an atheist.  the stigma lives on, and can even cause someone to not admit their true beliefs unless they know that their audience shares their non-belief.  

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

the actions you list are all bad deeds.  robbing, killing, and molesting are inherently harmful acts. 

the desire to preach stems (mostly) from wanting to do good.  that we both don't see it as a positive thing matters not.  it isn't naturally evil to want to help people, even if it has the opposite effect. 

hence, my accusation of a false equivalency. 

>> the desire to preach stems (mostly) from wanting to do good. 

>> that we both don't see it as a positive thing matters not.

I guess this is where we disagree. I don't put much stock on "intent". What matters to me is consequence. Those who practiced eugenics forcing the sterilization of women who were poor, or had some "defect" did so, with all good intent. They were, in their heart of hearts, "doing good". 

that's fine, we don't have to agree on everything.  i'm probably not as "anti-theist" as you are.  i'm no fan of religion but i don't advocate for its ouster.  it will likely happen naturally over time and while i'd love to see it in my lifetime, i recognize that's highly unlikely.  if people want to believe and preach, so be it.  so long as they keep it out of gov't i'm fine with most whatever they do. 

Your opinions and feelings towards me are understandable.
I truly wish you all the best, as I'm sure you do for me as well.
:-D
Much Love...

Well, I have to ask. Have you reached out to those you deceived. and attempted to put them straight? Have you tried to explain to those you "saved" that it was all a lie? Alcoholics are encouraged to make amends, to put right what they put wrong. Have you done that? 

"Much Love" is not a feeling, it is only valid as an act. 

Matthew 7

17 Even so every good tree brings forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree brings forth evil fruit.

18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

19 Every tree that brings not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

20 Therefore by their fruits you shall know them.

I wish the best for those you injured first, then for you. Understand, I have nothing  against you personally, the same way I have nothing against the reformed pedophile personally.

I find all of this very strange. People who tell me they are "spiritual but not religious" all turn up having some form of magical belief. Every single one of them that I've met or read about turn up believing something that is supernatural. Wake up! There is no supernatural. Absence of the supernatural and the paranormal is why we do not believe in god. Why is this so? There is no evidence.

SO, you believe something supernatural or paranormal and want to prove it to me. Then show me the evidence. No evidence = no proof!

Martians are not dropping in, and god does not want to talk to you.

I guess this blog is one I missed before. I have no problems with Jerry DeWitt. In fact, it was his vidoes on You Tube that allowed me to identify with him so much, and also see that god is a myth. Being told that I was a preacher caused the same strife for me that it caused for Jerry. This led quickly to me seeing that I'm really atheist and god is imaginary. This revelation having come through Jerry shows that he is really a good preacher after all. Jerry DeWitt never really wanted to decieve anyone. Like most of us, he himself was decieved. Now he is a voice of reason, and a man who demands evidence.

If I hadn't of found Jerry DeWitt videos by accident, it's doubtful that I would be atheist today. Being atheist has given me more freedom than I've ever had in my life!

I know what you mean, not realizing to be a non-believer is a good thing. I had lunch recently with a very long-time friend and he confessed to me that he is an atheist. I think he did so because I am so openly a non-believer on Twitter and Facebook . He celebrated saying out loud, even though very timidly, I AM AN ATHEIST. A self-respecting, healthy, confident, competent atheist.

The atheist community is growing, even within churches. There is power in thinking. Living according to dogma that separates one from another, making one's god better than all other gods, and making one better than all other believers, is a sure way to conflict and war. The old and new testaments create separation, violently in earlier times and with sickening "love" in more modern times. That form of love is about as hateful as one can be.   

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service