“In the beginning, nearly 14 billion years ago, all the space and all the matter and all the energy of the known universe was contained in a volume less than one trillionth the size of the period that ends this sentence.”

— Neil deGrasse Tyson in Astrophysics for People in a Hurry, opening p‘graph

Unsure? Test Tyson’s tale.

Try crushing a rock in one hand until it’s smaller than it is.

It should be easy; 99.99% of the rock is empty of matter.

Why doesn’t it crush?

Views: 332

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Another quip for Joan but is is a mistake I've observed in others...reminds me of Loren's mistake...if there were a god...fill in the thought...that is an unfounded conceit...an anthropomorphism no different really than that of theists and authors of the superstition believed by theists.

We have no way to know how god(s) think.

If religious people can make up stories and get away with it without being charged with the crime of lying, I can make up stories too and not be charged, tried, and convicted. 

Joan, is lying a crime?

The Constitution’s First Amendment says nothing about lying. Other laws appear to say:

1) when we lie to the government we commit a crime, and

2) when the government lie to the people they don’t commit a crime.

For instances, in the 1960s a Dem administration lied us into a war in Viet Nam and in 2003 a Repub administration lied us into a war in Iraq.

The government has stopped lying us into wars by not telling us when or where they are starting wars.

Have you heard recent comments by tRump about Belarus,  Montenegro, etc. Very interesting! start at 18:10 of this video. 

Yeah.

I think Putin is telling Trump what to say.

Trump, whose investments in Russia depend on Putin’s good will, says it.

Here is another interesting clip. Let me know if it if you can open it.

Trump parrots Russian revisionism on Soviet Afghanistan invasion

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/trump-parrots-russian-revi....

Thanx, Joan. i record Rachel’s hour and rarely miss it. The clip opened and was so much fun that I watched it again. At least Pence didn’t freeze.

Another quip for Joan but is is a mistake I've observed in others...reminds me of Loren's mistake...if there were a god...fill in the thought...that is an unfounded conceit...an anthropomorphism no different really than that of theists and authors of the superstition believed by theists.

We have no way to know how god(s) think.

If theologians for centuries past could take ancient myths of primitive peoples and transform them into stories of a virgin birth, miracles performed, death denied, redemption, salvation from punishment and transfer of punishment, heaven, hell, faith, and belief then I have the authority to transform my stories into whatever I can imagine. Fiction! It is all fiction! 

I cannot argue against Tyson and I love to hear him. Do I believe the "big bang?" What proof would I have of how it all began? How is that possible? I relegate my mind to knowing that there are some things we cannot or do not know. At least, not yet. I also know that to claim "goddidit" is to roll over and play dead. 

Theists have it over us in that they claim to know. It's a claim that I cannot buy. Again yesterday 2 men and 2 children came to my door and as I opened it the younger one pressed a bible tract into my hand inviting me to the Baptist church. I immediately gave it back to him with the reply "I don't go to church" and I closed the storm door. As they walked away the little girl looked at the man with bible tracts and said "there is something about that man." I hope she remembers it all her life.

Yes, I have no proof of your god or of your "bang." God will not get a new testable model. The bang probably will in time.

Michael, welcome back.

Here where I live, when I don’t see people for a while, I sometimes next see their obits. I won’t see yours and you won’t see mine.

As for Tyson, he entertains me but if we meet I will ask if he has a hypothesis that can be falsified.

That’s one way scientists and Big Bang cosmologists differ:

1) scientists devise hypotheses that can be falsified (proved),while

2) BB cosmologists devise hypotheses that cannot be falsified (proved).

Thanks, Tom. I spend time here and also on an agnostic site of late. On both sites I find that there are too many members and not all of them post. Most that do post are preaching to the choir or even worse. I go back and forth and comment from time to time.

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service