Views: 595

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Populations, armies, governments, and religions sanction [cruelty and brutality from military service members] from the time of the earliest Bible writings.

Worth a look: Kent Shifferd's book From War to Peace: A Guide to the Next Hundred Years.

"This book analyzes the war system's infiltration of all aspects of Western culture and how it perpetuates war" -- as a frequent, acceptable, normal, praiseworthy and honored "last resort" (ha!) -- "rather than promotes peace, describing the evolving parallel system of peace institutions. The values and ideas of peace activism offer an opportunity to outlaw war in the coming century just as slavery was abolished in the 19th century."

I borrowed it last year, and found it worthwhile and eye-opening though textbook-dense; I ended up skipping around rather than reading every page.

See Tom Hastings' review, "Carving a line of sight backward and forward to peace".

Goodreads page, with links to various online stores (Right now half.com also has used copies at $15 and $20, and Amazon is offering a Kindle edition for $15)

Worldcat page, with a listing of libraries that have it; you may be able to borrow it through interlibrary loan from your public library.

What do politicians do when they fail?

They declare war or they raise taxes.

In the US of A,  two kinds of people open meetings with the Pledge of Allegiance: American jingoists and xian jingoists.

I tell American jingoists what the US Supreme Court in 1940 said about the Pledge: its purpose is to bring children into the political culture.

I tell xian jingoists what Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13 11: "...when I became a man I  put away childish things."

Jingoists don't embarrass easily. I remind American jingoists that what the Court said is still the law of the land. I remind xian jingoists that I had long ago put away childish things.

In a year, in two organizations, I won once and lost once.

Tom, what skills did you use to win the jingoist conflict 

Knowing parliamentary law and being elected a club's president gave me the opportunity.

Doing away with a childish Pledge of Allegiance was fun.

Doing away with "those two words" was a delight.

Proud of my family, proud of atheist nexus, proud that my province made a good decision that improved our lives, proud that my country is not demanding obeisance to god when taking an oath of office doesn't mean I'm looking to go to war with anybody. I'm not sure why this discussion has gone in that direction.

I'm not going blindly down any roads with Canada, family or atheist nexus. Each group should make a reasoned decision before you get me cheering instead of booing.

What do you people think of Bernie Sanders. He has voted against most wars, wants to have free tuition and wants to dismantle the corporate prison system down there. Would you be proud of your fellow electorate if he actually became President.

Daniel, action is more needed than shame and action requires education. Education requires people like us having the facts and the desire for change..

The education has to include knowledge of the intentions of America's founders. Here are the words of four founders in the 1787 Constitutional Convention, and the dates they said these words.

ELBRIDGE GERRY. The evils we experience flow from the excess of democracy. The people don't lack virtue but are the dupes of pretended patriots. In Massachusetts experience has shown that they are led daily into the most baneful measures and opinions by false reports of designing men, which no one on the spot can refute. (May 31)

ALEXANDER HAMILTON. The people are turbulent and changing; they seldom judge or determine right. Give therefore to the rich and well-born a distinct and permanent share in the government. They will check the unsteadiness of the mass of the people, and as they cannot receive any advantage by a change, they therefore will ever maintain good government. (June 18)

JAMES MADISON. In framing a system we wish to last for ages, we should not lose sight of the changes the ages will bring. An increase of population will increase the proportion who labor under all the hardships of life and secretly sigh for a more equal distribution of its blessings. These may in time outnumber those who are placed above feelings of indigence. According to the equal laws of suffrage, the power will slide into the hands of the former. No agrarian attempts have yet been made in this country, but symptoms of a leveling spirit have sufficiently appeared in certain quarters to give notice of the future danger. Landholders ought to have a share in the government, to support these invaluable interests and check the other. It ought to be formed as to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority. (June 26)

GOVERNEUR MORRIS. We must take care that we don't establish a rule that will enable the poor but numerous inhabitants of the western country to destroy the Atlantic states. Men don't unite for liberty or life; in the savage state they possess both in the highest perfection. They unite to protect their property. (July 5)

How much of the required education and desire do we have?

I'm always reminded of old UK movies (made in America) where one charactor always says,

"God save the Qwine."

That always cracks me up!

Bravo! Well said!

(The new cabinet ministers who omitted "so help me God") "may or may not be religious, but the separation of church from state is music to the ears of atheists, agnostics and secularists."

"Maybe our neighbours to the south could learn something from us."

Let's hope! (Though we in the States will probably obstinately stick to our own spelling of "neighbors". :-)

RSS

© 2019   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service