I originally posted this question in the Atheists who love Science! Forum. The feedback has been great and sometimes a little comical, so I decided to also post it in the Athiest Humor forum to share the fun.

I am writing an opinion piece and would like participation in this informal survey.
Wanted to include most of the reasons people use to pick a religion, or think influence people to pick a religion (since many now claim atheism is just another religion). It does sound silly when they are reversed to be reasons of religion abandonment (for perspective).
I know the question is fundamentally wrong and the answers seem silly, but it is to help keep the selection narrow and to prove/disprove my hypothesis:

How were you convinced to become an Atheist?
(Select the most applicable single answer)
A) A billboard (or sign)
B) A book
C) A miracle
D) I’m not an atheist
E) I don’t know
F) I wasn’t convinced, it was a realization of who I was
G) A specific person (not an authored book)
H) I was mad at my god(s)
I) I have always been an atheist
J) My god is an atheist, therefore I am an atheist
K) By physical or verbal threats
L) I signed a contract and now I’m stuck being an atheist
M) I had to become atheist to marry my spouse
N) Atheists are cool, and I wanted to be like them
O) Other (please explain in one sentence)

Views: 436

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, "Kissing Hank's Ass", a wonderful "parable" by Jim Huber -- more of his stuff is at www.jhuger.com .

He provides a great excuse to mention "J) My god is an atheist, therefore I am an atheist": he describes himself as a "mystic atheist"; God spoke with him in a vision and told him (among other things) that God didn't exist. (Maybe visions aren't reliably connected with reality....)

F and I.
I - I was born an atheist, and my folks made the mistake of providing me with a fair sized library of reading material that included decent coverage of the worlds major religions. As soon as I could read I inoculated myself against the religion virus.
I'd have to say O, I lost it listening to Xtians rant about God. Poof! instant Atheist.
N of course!
More like B, F, G, and then, well, I. A perfect storm of skepticism, intelligent people and Carl Sagan books led me realize that I was always an atheist in denial.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service