Perhaps you remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, when nuclear war seemed immanent, then was barely averted. I remember walking through a college path lined with hundred year old trees, feeling that that seemingly solid reality was as flimsy tissue paper. These past few months have ground on as a Cuban-Missile-Crisis-new-normal. Consider assessments of the president*, in response to his New York Times interview. Here's Ezra Klein:

This is the president of the United States speaking to the New York Times. His comments are, by turns, incoherent, incorrect, conspiratorial, delusional, self-aggrandizing, and underinformed. This is not a partisan judgment — indeed, the interview is rarely coherent or specific enough to classify the points Trump makes on a recognizable left-right spectrum.

Whatever the cause, it is plainly obvious from Trump’s words that this is not a man fit to be president, that he is not well or capable in some fundamental way.

Incoherent, authoritarian, uninformed: Trump’s New York Times inter...

Charles P. Pierce goes further.

In my view, the interview is a clinical study of a man in severe cognitive decline, if not the early stages of outright dementia.
In this interview, the president* is only intermittently coherent. He talks in semi-sentences and is always groping for something that sounds familiar, even if it makes no sense whatsoever and even if it blatantly contradicts something he said two minutes earlier. To my ears, anyway, this is more than the president*’s well-known allergy to the truth. This is a classic coping mechanism employed when language skills are coming apart. [emphasis mine]
Trump’s New York Times Interview Is a Portrait of a Man in Cognitiv...

Paul Daniel Ash said...

... the fact seems unescapable that this is a man who is losing the ability to speak in a normal, fluent manner.
I don’t know if Trump is suffering from dementia. Ultimately, it may make little difference if he is or is not, if he continues to speak and act as if he wereSo let’s talk about Trump’s brain for a minute…

I live in a sci-fi dystopia, in which an early stage dementia guy has personal control of the world's largest nuclear arsenal. This astounding inside-out reality emerged over little more than a year, almost the way you can evert a rubber glove by blowing in it. "Pop!" Anyone who lives as if a long term or even a medium term future is assumed isn't paying attention.

image source

Views: 60

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Trump phenomenon is a head scratcher, for sure.  This country is suffering, from a case of I don’t even know what anymore.  It feels like the force that is moving us in the direction of time could be best characterized by the movie Thelma and Louise.

This is true not just in politics, but in all forms of social media as well.  That includes this site.  I quit commenting here a couple years ago, because of the incredibly slow pace of conversation that occurs here.  When I look at it now, it’s not just tragically slow, it just doesn’t even make much sense.  For a movement that is on the rise, one would think that more Nones would be coagulating here and encouraging more robust dialogue.  It’s depressing.

My take on the Trump phenomenon is that Donnie can bring his Reality TV to America in any way that he wants to just as long as he supports the GOP and their agenda and signs everything they want signed. Often this puts us in an awkward position that could have disastrous consequences. No one addresses this as the show goes on. Apparently there is no fear as well as no shame. North Korea is just one example of this. Civil rights violations of all sorts abound and whites are afraid they will "lose power."

Now they have decided to turn the little troll loose on marijuana users in legal states and officials in those states declare that they are not going to make any changes regardless of what the Feds do. Apparently if we privatize prisons we have to have them full in order to make any profit. At the least, this should all be very interesting.

It's just like Reality TV.

RSS

About

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service