Hey since I'm new I wanted to get list going of book suggestions. Atheist, humanist, science, big bang,evolution, all of it. I have a lot to study. thanks

Views: 140

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rob:

Atheist - about anything by Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens is good.  Dawkins too, although I find him harder to read.  You can find free downloadable books of Robert Green Ingeroll's speeches on line such as on the gutenberg project.  Some are downloadable as audiobooks.  They seem so current and inspirational, which is amazing considering they were written in the 19th century.

Others will have other recs.  Depending on your reading and listening style, there are a lot of podcasts too.

For current events websites, I like the friendly atheist Henant Mehta

Im sure others will have great suggestions.  I hope these help.

If you are interested in early Christianity or in depth understanding of bible problems, I recommend Richard Carrier, Bart Ehrman, and Robert Price. Bart Ehrmans more popular books are best for easy reading and an understanding of bible problems. These authors focus on the bible it's self and do not address problems with the Christian church.

Particularly as regards the mythicist position on Jesus, a very easy read is Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All, by David Fitzgerald.  It's more of an overview than what Price or Carrier offer, though they are absolutely the go-to people if you want to sweat the details.

Now I have to read that one Loren.  After reading both Price and Carrier, I'm also un-convinced that there was ever a Jesus.  It's like, if the Jesus story is 30% conglomeration of stories about several guys, and 70% myths created both before and long after the time Jesus supposedly existed, does it matter if one of those guy was named Jesus and wandered around saying hippie love things, and another one was a guy who threw around the moneychanger tables at the temple.  If we create a myth about a black man called "Thomas Delano Obama", who was president of the USA, who said "Ask not what American can do for you, make America great again", who was a billionaire who split logs in Illinois in his youth and was shot in a theater at a Dallas grassy knoll, leapt tall buildings at a single bound, had ability to use spidey senses to solve crimes, spread apple seeds around America, and had a big blue ox named Babe - would we say that Thomas Delano Obama ever existed?

Well put, Daniel ... very DAMNED well put!

YES!

I must admit I am extremely offended that you would mock my favorite president or question his existence. One is not allowed to question my beliefs and if you don't like that I will create a very powerful lobby to legislate it.

Mysterious Stranger...Mark Twain

I second that Mark Twain story.  Here is a librivox link.

For Mark Twain's delicious humor on life in the xian heaven, search on
Letters from the Earth.
I searched yesterday and, several links down the screen, saw a link to a PDF of all ten letters.

To get started on history of skeptics I recommend:

Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson

by Jennifer Michael Hecht

Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism

by Susan Jacoby

Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe

Greg Epstein

James A. Haught's 2000 Years of Disbelief - Famous People with the Courage to Doubt is a lovely compendium of thoughts.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service