Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Russell, I read your Letter to the Editor and am curious.

Does what Canadians say, write, or otherwise express have any protection from censorship by Canada’s government?

I have read many US Supreme Court free speech cases but will not here detail the protections Americans have—from “fighting words”, libel, slander, false claims on product labels, etc. We do however have few protections from the opinions people express.

Am I reading your letter correctly if I conclude that you want protections by government from the opinions Canadians express?

We have laws about hate crimes. So some expressed opinions have ramifications in Canada. Personally, i do not want protections from opinions. I want protection from willfully disseminating false information. Rigorous journalism has some protocols to ensure integrity in factual reporting. There is no guarantee they get everything correct. But these examples below to me are not opinions, they are blatantly false.

Clinton pizzagate

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/pizzagate-conspiracy/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/is-anchor-butter-contaminated-wit...

Should we penalize journalistic misinformation? Absolutely. There was a time that we trusted our news. If something came along that seemed off a bit we found out that it was satire. Today thanks to an Orange Buffoon, everyone is saying it might be "fake news." You hear this all the time and Trump supporters go out of their way to inform me that there was fake news way before Trump was elected. I have never claimed otherwise. What I have said is that Trump prides himself in coining the phrase and causing everyone to think. There is a problem with this. Suddenly all of the major news networks are wrong. It seems that Mr. Trump wants to control what is said about him and what you think about him and also events worldwide. Suddenly all the media is suspect. They start fighting more among themselves because Breitbart or Alex Jones may have been correct. Is this where Trump got his news? If so, how did these people stumble onto the truth? It boggles the mind and has the effect of causing the exact confusion that it was supposed to stir. In amazement I ask how anyone could be so dumb? 

RSS

© 2018   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: The Nexus Group.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service