On the 20th I totaled out my work truck. This is a fact that I'm only using here to point out a situation with religious believers. Yes, I'm glad that I'm OK but I attribute the fact of this to my wearing of a seat belt and nothing more.

My circumstance was exactly this. In a driving rain I went onto the freeway and quickly hit something which was likely too much water. My truck hydroplaned and I could not regain control. Suddenly I'm spinning like a top and off between the 2 highways bouncing off the center divider cable, coming to rest with my truck facing opposite of the direction I was traveling. It all happened so quickly.

In the aftermath of it all, there went my perfect driving record. I barely had time to recall my last thoughts - " I'm going to be hit by 4 or 5 cars and possibly a tractor trailer truck." These vehicles were out there but nothing like that happened. The accident involved only me spinning out of control.

Later on some are saying how god saved me. I simply said that I am fortunate and that seat belts save lives. That wasn't good enough for many who heard the story. They knew that god had a hand in it.

OK, I'm game with this for a moment. Explain to me what god did. Am I to believe that all the other traffic on that freeway was miraculously placed in a different timeframe and guided away from me by a higher power? This all happened in an instant. If so, wouldn't they have some perception of this and have reported it to someone? Maybe not, because that would spoil the religious story.

Now explain to me what the angels did here. Maybe they directed traffic while god himself controlled the scene using me and others like a puppet. From the time religion was injected into this story I was hearing this nonsense. One friend said "I don't care what you say. I still believe in god." It was as if she thought a god had to be added into this situation. Why? It then comes to my mind that if I reject a godly intervention does it mean I am automatically rejecting your god? Why does that bother you when the incident happened to me and not you?

The purpose of this post in a nutshell is that religion continues to make things up and they feel threatened if you do not believe it and go along with it. This is how religion survives.

I didn't write this to get a lot of well wishing. Many of us have had similar things happen. If you comment please direct your thoughts to the religious absurdity that superstition generates.

Any thoughts?

Views: 288

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"God's testing your faith," or It's part of God's plan" are good ones too. Beliefs that no amount of reality, no matter how harshly delivered, will ever dislodge unless the believer has an attack of logicality..

Watch Jerry DeWitt's video on You Tube "Rise Of The Ameri God" and you will see an ex-preacher who brings out the strange changes in god belief today. Religion is evolving and I agree with Jerry. I'm 70 years old and see a great evolution of religious belief in the last 50 years. They just keep making shit up and have the gall to tell us that's what we are doing with science. Jesus has become "Super Jesus" and the religious mantle has been passed on to America. Religion is being re-written as history and they want this crap to be a part of government. America is the new standard bearer of righteousness.

They fail to see that we are putting ourselves on the same level as ISIS. We can do this, they think, because we have the right god.

Yep, I've heard them called the American Taliban.
I busted my ass on my bike a few years ago going downhill fell face first. It was funny weird seeing people pray, but, fuck it it was there way to cope. I was thinking in my mind they talk all that shit on atheists why don't my luck decrease? Why don't I get into more accidents if my life is a sin? Cuz it's all bullshit and shit happens.

I think you are exactly correct, Gwen. Even so, when I was a believer I thought that god killed Madalyn Murray O'Hair because she didn't believe in him.

Oh, but you see prayer does work.  Because they know someone who has a friend whose sister's husband's cousin prayed and then had something good happen.  Our rigorous studies and statistical analysis can't touch the power of their god, can it?  That one sample (which the friend's sister's husband's cousin absolutely reported faithfully) proves that prayer works.

If you hang around them long enough you will find (or even see) a person who had a short leg and the power of god made it grow longer right before your eyes!
(Maybe I'd better stop with this one before I get in trouble.) This can even be faked on video.

Sort of like magicians doing demonstrations of cold-reading.  But when the psychics do it, they're really using psychic powers!

...Of course prayer works!

The guy on the left was the result of too many folks praying for him and God responded making him obese. The child,  God didn't bother because the child somehow slipped through the prayer system. Better luck next time!

Thomas, these graphic photos say it all. My heart breaks when I see such conditions. I have two files, Extreme Wealth and Extreme Poverty, where I collect such images. Thank you for sharing. 

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service