A plurality of Americans want the Affordable Care Act repealed and replaced. The Republican Study Committee has worked on a replacement and come up with a proposal that has the support of a majority of House Republicans.

http://rsc.scalise.house.gov/solutions/rsc-betterway.htm

The plan combines all the old GOP ideas for health care in one package. Its major features are as follows. Specifically, H.R. 3121, the RSC's American Health Care Reform Act:

• Fully repeals President Obama's health care law, eliminating billions in taxes and thousands of pages of unworkable regulations and mandates that are driving up health care costs. 
  • Spurs competition to lower health care costs by allowing Americans to purchase health insurance across state lines and enabling small businesses to pool together and get the same buying power as large corporations.
  • Reforms medical malpractice laws in a commonsense way that limits trial lawyer fees and non-economic damages while maintaining strong protections for patients.
  • Provides tax reform that allows families and individuals to deduct health care costs, just like companies, leveling the playing field and providing all Americans with a standard deduction for health insurance.
  • Expands access to Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), increasing the amount of pre-tax dollars individuals can deposit into portable savings accounts to be used for health care expenses.
  • Safeguards individuals with pre-existing conditions from being discriminated against purchasing health insurance by bolstering state-based high risk pools and extending HIPAA guaranteed availability protections.
  • Protects the unborn by ensuring no federal funding of abortions.

As might be expected, the emphasis here is on tax cuts in the form of actual deductions and in the form of Health Savings Accounts, which favor the rich. Smaller insurance companies in some states will be wiped out as the large insurance companies are allowed to come in. People with pre-existing conditions will be placed in high risk pools, guaranteeing them insurance coverage, but at much higher costs. Meanwhile all this competition will reduce costs in a business that is labor intensive and technologically sophisticated. Who wouldn't want their quadruple bypass performed by the surgeon who offers the lowest rates?

Views: 461

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Excellent Susan.

People need to have enough insurance provided for them somehow, that they won't be ruined by a car accident.  And enough that they don't need to use emergency rooms for routine care, and they can get decent care even if otherwise poor.

This is precisely what the Affordable Care Act aims at doing. How can you have this without a mandate on everyone for coverage?

Since the law mandates that emergency rooms must treat patients to the point of stabilization, those without health insurance impose a burden on the the rest of us. They are a significant factor in the cost increases. Catastrophic health insurance does not cover all conditions taking people to the emergency room for treatment.

The insurance companies would not have accepted the conditions of the Affordable Care Act unless they got a lot of new patients. The mandate was necessary to offset for them the costs of coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Luara, what's the difference between mandating health insurance and mandating auto insurance? Or, mandating that a person have a license to drive a car or fly a plane.
Or, in fact, any number of things that citizens must do in order to comply with the endless laws that are in place to safeguard our society?

"Joan --

No, you're not dreaming: House Republicans just voted to pass the American Health Care Act.

They just voted for an even worse version of the same Trumpcare bill that people across the country rejected only weeks ago. A bill that would ensure fewer people and families can be covered, kick tens of millions off health insurance, raise premiums for pre-existing conditions, raise health care costs, and create chaos in the nation's health care system.

I promise you, I'm going to be doing everything in my power to make sure Trumpcare never passes in the Senate. But I need your help.

Add your name to recommit to the fight for quality, affordable heal...

President Trump and Speaker Ryan are breaking their promises to the American people: They promised they would cover pre-existing conditions, but with this bill, they're not just leaving them out -- they're adding more.

And yet, Republicans gave Paul Ryan a standing ovation on the House floor as he called for support for Trumpcare. A standing ovation for a bill that would rip health care away from people across the country.

This isn't about care, it's about giving President Trump a political win -- but this bill is headed straight to a dead-end in the Senate, because women and families nationwide are going to fight back harder than ever against this disastrous bill.

I'll be fighting harder than ever, too -- you have my word.

Add your name and join me to commit to the fight against Trumpcare ...

Thanks -- more soon,

Patty Murray
U.S. Senator

ADD YOUR NAME »

I can't even imagine how US citizens can ignore or deny how harmful this bill is to the health and safety of our country! As 

Thank you, Michael, for the laugh.

Michael, thanks! This cartoon made me laugh!

This is terrible! Forcing people with pre-existing conditions into state-based high risk pools does NOT safeguard individuals with pre-existing conditions from being discriminated against purchasing health insurance.

http://rsc.scalise.house.gov/solutions/rsc-betterway.htmThis site can’t be reached

This sounds as if it might sort of work, if you're upper middle class or above.  

It sounds catastrophic for middle class and below.

In other words, if you can pay for any medical care you might need, you'll be fine.

But then, you would be anyway.

(Protecting the unborn is cute.)

Watch the Rs start suggesting that the church should care for the sick*.

*You know, those ne'er-do-wells who aren't leading pure and sanctimonious enough lives to be of sound body

This is a 2014 post. Just noticed. Not about our current situation!

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service