Republicans==Democrats, Republicans!=conservative, Democrats!=liberal

I would probably fit into some of the stereotypes for a right winger:  totally into low taxes and smaller government.  I start to go off track though, because for me, that includes dismantling the military-industrial complex, ending pointless wars, not getting into them in the first place, and just maintaining our actual national security (which wouldn't take a whole bunch, the US is like Russia -- ain't nobody gonna be able to occupy this much space).

But I don't really want a government that tells people how to live, who to marry, violates privacy, has any say in reproductive freedom, etc. etc.  Typical lefty issues.

Anyway, just throwing this out there -- it seems that Republicans and Democrats really are the same, or at least 95% or so, and neither group really represents me well.  As for our current administration (you know, the same one as the last one with a new face), I think Glen Greenwald has written about the best summary paragraph ever (totally defines awesome) of the Obama administration's continuation and extension of the Bush legacy:

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2010/08/10/gibbs/...

So I'm wondering -- am I as alone among atheists as I am with everyone else?  I basically consider myself a green libertarian, which makes me a bit soft on property rights issues in the eyes of hardcore libertarians, but I like a pretty world where the costs of production are not handed off to unsuspecting neighbors.  As far as Republocrats and Demoplicans go though, just six of one, half dozen of the other,  so I am rather bothered with the assumption that Republicans are conservatives and Democrats are liberals.

Views: 498

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Kind of like this?
Attachments:

Kelly, I like your cartoon; it fits the situation!

You nailed it Michael. Distraction is the name of the game. And with all the media it's a huge one. I read most of my news from the internet or papers. Reading allows me to skip the talking heads BS. And the hype is unbelievable. I was waiting for an update on a news program and the anchor kept repeating "coming up next' (insert news here). Well the next turned out to be forty minutes later. I haven't tried to sit through an hour news program since!

Kathy, I agree, "I haven't tried to sit through an hour news program" and get all my news from the internet and alternative press. 

Kelly, I am happy to see your message! 

Branches of Government

Keep in mind that this document describes the ideal US Branches of Government. The reality is all branches of government have been bought by wealthy people and major changes have taken place in the last 40 years that increases the wealth of the few and decreases the wealth of the many. Our middle class is falling in numbers and ratios, the poverty class is growing and the wealthy class holds more of our nation's wealth in the hands of a very few people. The working people will have to join together to regain some of the policies and practices that protected the middle class. If change doesn't come about through the election process there will be change through conflict. 

Your salon link gave an error message.

Noam Chomsky says that the Democratic party of today has values similar to Eisenhower's Republican party, while today's Republican party functions as a radical insurgency rather than a political party.

Noam Chomsky: The GOP is a radical insurgency; it’s not a political...

"... they have become a “radical insurgency” that scarcely seeks to participate in normal parliamentary politics, as observed by the respected conservative political commentator Norman Ornstein of the right-wing American Enterprise Institute." Republicans Gone Wild: Q&A with Mann and Ornstein

"Republicans are not merely ideologically different from Democrats but engaged in a unique form of politics that undermines the system itself... " [Francis Wilkinson]

There may have been a time when Democrats and Republicans were much alike, but much has changed. On the other hand I do agree with Ralph Nader's statement that the only difference is the acceleration with which their knees hit the floor when corporations come knocking - with one exception - Bernie (who rejects fossil fuel money).

Ha! ' the acceleration with which their knees hit the floor when corporations come knocking '

I'm curious where each of the past presidents are now working? Which boards are they on now that they're out of office? Do they get a pension for time spent as President? Are their families currently covered with a benefits plan....health, dental etc.

I'm genuinely curious where they think they're going after serving the limited 8 years in office. Presidents have human rights too.

would you ditch medicare, social security, unemployment insurance, public education?

anagama, where did you put the progressives? There are a few of us.

I'm out to the left of the liberals, who are between us and the conservatives.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Supporting Membership

Nexus on Social Media:

© 2016   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service