Former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.), who’s reportedly gearing up for another Republican presidential campaign, told a right-wing audience this week that “the words ‘separation of church and state’ is not in the U.S. Constitution, but it was in the constitution of the former Soviet Union. That’s where it very, very comfortably sat, not in ours.”

My response to this asshole is that it was not nearly as comfortable as Hitler would have been in the Vatican.

Views: 271

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Susan, I got your point the first time.  

They also believe in "original sin," which is not mentioned in the buybull, either. If it weren't for the fiction of "original sin" there would be no need for a fictional hell or a fictional "savior"/sacrificial spring lamb.

It's all so sick.

This all comes from that Genesis story where they wanted knowledge. No sin in wanting knowledge but the theists don't see the fictional story that way. Throw this out and the Bible has no "devine plan for man." No "need" for mankind to be doing anything.

EXACTLEEEEE!

If I still had a car, I would get one of those "Eve Was Framed" bumper stickers for it.  A clear case of entrapment....why else put the silly tree (actually there were two forbidden trees) in that mythical garden.

The Levite priests were ....uhhh...hell-bent on controlling everything the tribe did, including putting an end to goddess worship, which had EVERYTHING to do with blaming Eve, and the "serpent."  In the older Goddess religion, snakes were supposed to be wise advisers to the priestesses.

The whole thing was about property and inheritance.

When God Was a Woman by Merlin Stone is a fascinating book....look for a used paperback on Half.com.

Very nice - I'm sending this one to Santorum hdqrts.

Splitting the Republicans... yes!! The more ways, the merrier!

At worst, it'll give them an incentive to support a reformed voting system with preference voting (such as Instant Runoff Voting), where you get to support a "third party" while not hurting the majority party you'd also approve of.

Santorum correctly states., "separation of church and state" does not appear in the Constitution ratified in 1789.

"The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.

It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights."

Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to the Danbury Baptist Association, Jan. 1. 1802,

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State."

Because Christian fundamentalists perceive the intent of the "establishment clause" to be protection of the church from the state, they claim it does not apply to involvement of the church in state affairs. 

"Separation of Church and State - The Metaphor and the Constitution

"The constitution states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Both the free exercise clause and the establishment clause place restrictions on the government concerning laws they pass or interfering with religion. No restrictions are placed on religions except perhaps that a religious denomination cannot become the state religion."

(emphasis mine)

Santorum has an extremely difficult task ahead of him—how to stay relevant and be a significant part of the political process without holding public office for the last eight years. He lost his senate seat after two terms in the election of 2006 and has been in private practice since then. As a candidate he has little access to funding and hopes that a strong religious stance will win him votes of Tea Party conservatives and sweep him into office as a reform President.

Santorum is corrupt. For a small contribution from AccuWeather he introduced legislation to prevent the National Weather Service from releasing weather information where private weather services do so commercially. What this might have done to general aviation is unimaginable. The bill did not pass out of committee, but it is an example of what he was prepared to do.

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/rick-santorums-war-against-the-nat...

He's a walking bad Nicholas Cage movie.

Think God's Ghost Rider.

Maybe Raising Arizona. Kind of downhill from there.

given his religious background and his Holy Warrior status this is exactly what I would predict from him.

RSS

line

Update Your Membership :

Membership

line

line

Nexus on Social Media:

line

© 2017   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service